ICH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timmylikesthing

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, I have a 20 gal tank.

I have 2 percula clowns 1 blue damsel 1 lawnmower blenny 1 yellow wrasse. Helluva a bioload I know, but I'm careful with my water and maintaining stable temp, salinity (1.023), and nitrate-trite & NH3 levels.

Inverts
1 Bulb Anemone
1 Sexy Shrimp

Green Star Polyps
Colt Coral
Xenias

The clowns have readily visible sugar grain sized spots on them. I'm assuming ich.

I was instructed by my lfs to by invert safe Ich medicine. This is cheaper than setting up a qt but I'm concerned about the effectiveness of it. Currently only the clowns are showing signs of ich. I plan on starting treatment ASAP. But what treatment or additional supplementary treatments?

TIA
Tim

Welcome to AA!!!

The general idea is that if medicine is too weak to kill inverts, then it is not strong enough to kill ich.

IMO the best and only way to completely remove ich from your fish, and your tank, is to take all your live stock out, put them in qt and start either one of two things. You could use hospilinaty, or a copper based medicince called cupramine. The main tank will need to stay fishless for 4 to 6 weeks.

I know thats not what you want to hear, but it is what needs to be done. :wink:

Although the clowns only show ich, ich is in the tank, and will never be gone unless the tank remains fishless for 4-6 weeks. :wink:

Ok well I've never set up a qt tank. I read in another thread i'd need a simple sponge filter and simple aeration as filtration. Small bits of PVC as shelter, no substrate, etc.

I'll probably add a small light strip to aid in the observation, (I have a spare 18" flourescent bulb)

Question 1- I'm thinking 10-15 gallon (No large specimens, all are under 2"), would this be sufficient.

Question 2- Will it be necessary to cycle the water or can I purchase premixed R/O water from my lfs and "Just add fish"?

I appreciate the quick response! Even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear. :wink:

TIA again,
Tim

Ok here is a great article on QT. http://aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=17

You need to get as large as possible. I think a 15g would be fine, a 10 is better than nada.

You can use water straght from your main tank to start the qt. Yes it has ich, but so does your fish. The med will kill it soon enough. If you have a sponge or something that has been in the main, you can use that to help also. Just to warn you, your water changes will be about everyday. You will have high water readings on your test. You must be consistent with the water changes.

What method of treatment will be using?

It is going to be a chore, but it will be well worth it. Just remember to keep them in at least 4 weeks, 6 weeks is better. From here on out make sure you qt all new additions, and you can keep ick out of your tank!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom