Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

ich ?

is it possible to get ich weven when you havnt added anything new in a long time

seems my cowfish and domino damsle have a bunch of white specks all over and i dont know if i should do something or not thier is no spots on the other fish in the tank

Old 05-24-2005, 12:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

common someone has to know

im preatty shure its ich but its been 5 months mabey 6 since any new fish came around
i would try the copper thing but the only invert is a large general star and the other tank is a reef

Old 05-24-2005, 12:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Auden
It's absolutely possible for fish to get Ich without adding anything new. Ich comes about when the fish become stressed. Check your water parameters, I've noticed that if the temperature variates, or water quality is bad it brings on Ich. I would net the fish, QT them and treat the afflicted fish. Good luck!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ich could have been introduced when you put that first fish in. Fish will remain asymptomatic for as long as they are able to fight off the parasite. When they are stressed or the water conditions aren't good (or they're hungry or they're having an off day or...) they succomb to the parasite and become symptomatic. Very well possible.

If every fish you add doesn't undergo hypo and every rock/coral/invert isn't in a fallow system for at least 6w there's a good chance that you've added ich to your system at some point in time along the way. I'm a little bitter about this whole thing because I'm facing this very same thing. My PT has been able to fight off ich with garlic and selcon added to his food regularly and keeping him well fed. No other fish have become symptomatic so I'm just watching at this point. If anyone else becomes symptomatic or he gets to the point where he isn't winning the battle any more they'll all come out and I'll fallow the main, but you can rest assured that if it comes to that I'm going to be a real nut case about keeping ich out of my main in the future!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

im gonna piss off my sand bed but im gona do it anyway
im doin a light vacumin of the sand in the morning and one when i get home i bought some garlic guard today my nitrates were a little high(ive been havin trouble since i added the cowfish and lion to this tank from the other one)

wich adds i dont know what to do about the filter im using ist a 25g sump on a 130g tank i use phosguard carbon ceramic pieces and some of those little rocks similar to the ceramic pieces thier is also sponge and filterfloss inbetween things
the sump is a little dirty but its placement doesnot allow me to clean it very well
i cannot add a light to grow micro even though i have a spare 72w pc should i go buy a aquaclear 500 to help untill i get my new tank built in about 3 or 4 months
thats a lot of waterchanges untill then
Old 05-25-2005, 03:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're alluding to the fact that water quality is attributing to their failing ability to fight off the parasite. If they're going to win the fight you've got to do something to keep the water quality as high as you can get it. Whether that's additional filtration, macro, water changes, etc...

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
steve-s

Trying to maintain a delicate balance between the fish's ability to resist the parasite and the persistance of the parasite itself is not a worthy goal. Even if your fish are able to gain some sort of immunity the parasite will not be eliminated, only marginally controlled. The first "upset" in the tank will mean a complete renewed onslaught by the parasite that the fish's resistance will not be able to cope with. "Aquired immuninty" rarely lasts long.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com