ICH ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Percula Clown has one white dot on the edge of his dorsal fin. It looks like it might be ich. If it is; what is the recommended treatment in a FOWLR tank?

Charlie,

The first thing you can do is start using garlic in the fish food AND try purchasing a special formula designed to help boost the fishes' immune system. Just ask your LFS for some. The garlic you can purchase either online or at the same LFS. If you havent seen my thread in the Saltwater FOWLR forum try to take a browse and check it out!

KEEP a careful eye on your clown. IMO if you see it starting to produce little white spots all over it turn up the heat to 80 and reduce your SG to 1.015. This will help in keeping adverse conditions for the parasite to reproduce and they will die.

Tram

Can I just remove the Clown and treat as you described without subjecting all his tankmates to the same extremes?

I think that QT is always a better option if possible. Hey Tram, this is good learning for me. S/W ICH is different in treating than F/W?

In F/W I turn it up to 87-89??

In F/W I turn it up to 87-89??

I doubt that SW livestocks can survive at the temp. I lost 1 fish and almost lost my BTA when my tank had a temp spike (92F).

Charlie, if you decide to QT, you have to QT all fish.

All the fish do need to be treated if it is ich but, not all white spots are ich. I would start feeding the garlic and just watch for a while. If you have ich it will keep getting worse. You usually can see ich best first thing in the morning when you turn the lights on.

I agree, can you get a pic? Sometimes they get a bubble, or sand stuck to them. If you can, I would set up a QT just in case. You can also use that to QT any new fish you get.

I I needed to QT ALL the fish then why not just treat in the display tank? It would be impossible to catch all the fish without removing all of the LR. That would be a disaster.

I'll see about getting an image - I never tried that before.

I needed to QT ALL the fish then why not just treat in the display tank?

Copper will kill your inverts or possibly future inverts. Mosy/everything on your LR will perish also.

Same thing with hypo, except it is not a long term problem. If you treat with hypo, your LR might perish along with the inverts and this could cause you another cycle. All the die-off will produce lots of ammonia, then nitrites, both toxic to fish.

It would be impossible to catch all the fish without removing all of the LR.

You can build traps and get them out that way.

For starters I repoved the infected Percula. He had a cotton like white spot on the leading edge of his dorsal fin and another on his side at the junction of his pectoral fin.

I put him in a temporary QT. I put a HOB on the QT tank with the sponge media from my display tank HOB. This should provide plenty of active bacteria. How slowly should I drop the SG and what would be the ideal temp? How long should the fish remain in this QT environment?

There is alot of info on this site for hypo. Go to the sick fish forum and look under treatments. Do you have a refractor? It isn't safe to do hypo without one from what I have read.

Back
Top Bottom