Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ich

It is possible for one fish to contiuosly get ich but none of the others are affected? my hippo tangs seems to get signs of ich (spots and flashing) but then it goes away but when carefully observing my other fish: a yellow tang, and clowns - they never seem to show any signs of ich. Today i noticed the hippo flashing again. I was wondering if I should drop my salinity but the only problem is I am worried about my live rock if I do this. Im Not worried about any inverts that came with the rock, havent noticed any yet anyway and its been about 3 or 4 months.

Can i drop the saltinity in my main with these four fish and will my live rock be ok if I do.

Thanks

Old 11-15-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

There are pods, probably some feather dusters, other small crustaceans, etc. living in/on the rock. Hypo should be done in a QT tang or even a brute bin.

It is possible that one fish will display the signs. That doesn't mean that the other fish are not infected. They probably have the parasite in their gills. It does seem that healthy fish have the ability to fight off the mass infestations, but all it takes is a drop in water parameters of any other stress and the fish may then quickly succumb.

If you don't have any viable QT and you have no snails, shrimp, crabs, etc. then you should do the hypo in the main. All fish must be treated.

Good luck with the treatment.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

tangs and esp. the hippo tang are more suseptable to ich. If you do hypo do as cmor said and treat in a QT. Read these

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Also I`m moving this to the sick fish forum.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

So is it safe to do this hypo in my main? will my live rock lose its coraline algae? will it still serve its biological purpose? will it destabalize my tank and kill my bacteria in my filtration?
Old 11-16-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

No do not do hypo in your main this will fool with your biological filtration and corals that you may have just use a tote bin for hypo , it is opaque so the fish are protected throw in a few piceses of pvc for them to hide the less stress they have the qucker that they can fight it off keep their water pristine in qt and keep them well fed with foods soaked in selcon , and garlic ...keep your main tank fallow for around 8 weeks so that the cysts and tomites have a chance to run their life cycle and die off , with out a host they can not survive ..
It sucks but we have used just a 5 gallon tote when we had a fish that came down with ich ... and it worked great now I have a storage bin for all my fish junk
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Doing hypo in the main tank is a last resort. Most life in and on the LR will die causing a drop in water quality. Can it be done, and should it be done are two different questions. It is always better to get a Brute tote or two. Either remove the fish or the rock and hypo all the fish.

Is this in your 75ga with 60 pounds of live sand, 90 pounds of live rock?
Get a small tank or a Brute 20 gallon bin to QT the fish in. There will be too much die off in the main tank
Old 11-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just dont feel comfortable puting my fish into a 20 gallon plastic container. I have been debating whether to remove all the live rock and put them in the container and allow the the fish to stay in the main with the hypo?

Does this sound resonable/ this will only make it a two week process as well

My fish wouldnt be comfortable in 20 gallons of water
Old 11-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hypo is not a two week process. Once you get the salinity down to 1.009, you're looking at 4-6 weeks AFTER the disappearance of the last spots of ich before you can start SLOWLY increasing the salinity again.

Here's a great summary on hypo:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

I suppose putting the rock in a tote would be better than nothing but there are two things you're going to have to do... (1) "feed" the rock in the tote because if you don't all your bacteria will die off, which in turn will cause an ammonia spike and (2) watch your main tank for an ammonia spike because you're removing a large portion of the bacteria. You'll still have some in your sandbed, but you'll have to keep an eye to see if you've removed too much.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Not just the LR but any inverts wont make it either if you do hypo.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

If your thinking that 3 fish in a 20 for 6 weeks is problem, it's not. They need minimal light, and HOB filter w/wo biowheel will do just fine.
When I had an outbreak in 125 I went out and bought a 30 gal tank and hob filter. I put 8 fish in that 30 and several pieces of pvc of different sizes for hiding places. I did 2x daily pwc for a week till the filter got going, then a pwc every other day for the next 6 weeks to maintain the water quality. I also had to remove almost all of the LR so I could catch the fish to put into the QT, but that gave me the opportunity to re-aquascape.

Yes I have a full time job and worked some late nights and some weekends during that period. I wanted to get rid of the Ich in my tank, and be relatively sure I would not get another outbreak. This is a lot of work, but this also an expensive hobby, especially if you always have to replace fish.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com