ich attack..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's safe for a reef it's safe for ick. It won't work . Hyposalinity or copper are the only two cures for ick.

Some fish are sensitive to copper like puffers and any fish with no scales. The safest way would be hyposalinity. Do you have a quarantine tank?

I dont have a QT but i don have much fish in my tank..8 green chromis, 1 flame angel and 1 rectangular trigger..how about the MARDEL COPPER SAFE..does it work..

Never used it. If you use copper in your tank it will get into your sand and rock and leech out over time. You will never be able to keep corals , inverts ever in the tank. Even if you take all of that out the copper will get into your silicone and do the same thing over time. Copper in your tank is a very bad idea . I'll try to find an article on hypo and post it here for you to read.

Neither copper nor hypo are safe for inverts. Unfortunately, it seems that ich has all the same tolerances and weakness as corals and inverts. So, to treat ich, you really should have a separate tank.

The best thing for you to do is get a qt tank to treat the fish in and let your dt go fishless for 6 to 8 week to kill off all the ich. If you go copper in the qt tank cupramine imo is the best stuff. Its not as harsh on fish as other copper treatmennts but do not use in your dt.make sure you keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels

ich - good luck!

Hi, we battled Ich for more than two months...tried reef safe remedy first, no luck, zero results except out $40. With Live rock and sand, you MUST have a QT. We bought extra tanks on craigs list, pretty cheap. Moved everyone into a QT tank for hyposalinity...worked on everyone but the hippo tang. (Finally three weeks in a qt with a .5 copper level (cupramine) seems to have cured her.) Be sure to leave your DT fallow (empty of fish, just keep your inverts and rock and sand going in there) for at least 6 weeks...or the Ich will cycle right back onto your fish like it did to us. Good luck, it almost killed at least two fish and nearly cured my bf of his saltwater hobby desire...not fun. At one point we had three tanks going...one copper for the tang and long nosed butterfly, one just for the healthy fish, and one fallow DT until we cycled out the ich. Yikes!

Back
Top Bottom