Ich cure Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just looking at my fishes and an idea hit me. Now don't get me wrong about "declining forum's advices blah blah blah". This is just an idea that popped into my head that i think might actually work.

Ich parasites's cycle is: infect the fish, drop off, multiply, then re-infect the fish right? So to treat the whole tank, u want to keep the parasites off the host fish for a few weeks so they would die off, yes?

Garlic contains an antiparasitic compound called allicin that helps the immune system. So I think feeding ur fish with garlic soaked for a few weeks straight will keep the new parasites from infecting to ur fish. Now those parasites that are already infecting ur fish will eventually drop off to mutiply. Meanwhile the newly hatched parasites won't be able to get to the fish b/c the fish ate garlic. Over time, all parasites on ur fish will drop off, therefore ur fish is ich free. Keep feeding ur fish with garlic so the parasites can't re-infect ur fish. With a host to keep them fed, they will die off after a few weeks.

I only posted this to discuss about it. Im not 100% sure if this method will work cuz i just thought of this... Just wonder if anyone agrees with me. If u don't... simply say it won't work and explain y but please don't accuse me of "declining advices"...

Thanks a million

Garlic and other suppliments have been used to "boost" immunity for some time. A lady here swears by Beta Glucan. Having healthy fish is the best way to avoid parasites.

I don't this it is a cure all though. I don't think you will be able to keep the ich from feednig on the fish by feeding them garlic only. Removing the fish and feeding them garlic enriched food will help them fight off any ailments they have and boost thier immunity later on.

I have a much easier solution for you, quarantine anything wet. :wink:

What your suggesting will work and is refered to as aquired immunity. The problem with that is there is a 50/50 chance at best it will work. Some have had good success while others quite dismal. Using a method like your suggesting would take approximately 10-11 months before the parasite was completely erradicated. That is, if no new sources of the parasite are introduced and no new fish either. Exhisting stocks would have built up some resistance but new additions would not have any. More commonly the new addition would fuel a surge in reproduction and the theront density would become so high, all fish would become infested.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom