Ich fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikie o

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks just a question for you.
I'm away to qt my fish but my gobby have to go too?. As I can't see ich on it. Thanks

If you have ich in the tank you`ll need to QT all the fish in the display tank. Your tank will need to be fishless for eight weeks to break the life cycle of the parasite.

I am also dealing with ich and have read about hyposalinity to clear it up. I currently have fish only one is a powder blue tang (the one that is showing symptoms) and no spare tank but just wondering if I lower the salinity in the tank if that may clear up the problem?

Jarijuana said:
I am also dealing with ich and have read about hyposalinity to clear it up. I currently have fish only one is a powder blue tang (the one that is showing symptoms) and no spare tank but just wondering if I lower the salinity in the tank if that may clear up the problem?

When I first started in the hobby I didn't have a QT tank or the extra money to buy an additional tank for this alone so I used a Rubbermaid tub (wasn't even the Rubbermaid brand...lol) and bought a cheap filter from Walmart. It worked great and while it wasn't as pretty as a clear tank, it served its purpose well and was easy to store. Here is a link that gives information about Ich. It's really a pain and if you decide to QT then you can get rid of it for good in your tank. Unfortunately, you will need to do water changes for your fish in the QT and monitor ammonia levels. The link will explain everything in more detail:
www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

One last thing...DO NOT USE MEDICATION AND HYPOSALINITY together or you will kill your fish!

If you wanna get the ich off your fish take some ro Fresh water and dip him in it for three mins. Salt water ich can't survive the fresh water. I work for a lfs and that is what we do. It will scare you at first because fresh water is less buoyant so your fish will fall over at first but will come back up within a few seconds.

Freshwater dips will not kill all the ich some will more then likely survive. The only sure fire cures for ich are hypo and copper. Do not use either of these in your main tank it will kill your inverts and coral if you have them. If you do hypo you will need a refractometer to measure the salinity. If you do copper you will need a copper test kit to make sure you have the proper copper levels. Keep your main tank fishless for up to eight weeks to make sure any ich in your tank is dead, they can't survive without a host. You can leave any corals or inverts in the tank since they are not effected by the ich. Good luck

I learned from my fish guy that if u raise the temp a little and find the stressor that's causing the ich usually u can get the cycle to speed up. I had low ph and high ammonia. Fixed that and it went away and nobody died.

I learned from my fish guy that if u raise the temp a little and find the stressor that's causing the ich usually u can get the cycle to speed up. I had low ph and high ammonia. Fixed that and it went away and nobody died.
It will be back. It is now in your tank.

Been a year.. Still nothing. I keep my fish healthy, they don't get sick. He been right so far.. 22+ years experience.

Back
Top Bottom