ich help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Le the tank cycle from the LR you have. You can add a pinch of flake food just to keep a source of ammonia. Leave the DT without any fish for EIGHT (8) WEEKS. Add a pinch of food every week to keep the bacteria going. Ich cannot live without a host fish. The life cycle is ~30 days but could be longer. Letting the tank cycle for 6-8 weeks with no fish will result in an Ich free DT.

Be sure to QT all new livestock for 30 days to be sure they don't bring Ich into the QT tank. At the first sign, start treating with Hyposalinity

Thanks a lot guys really appreciate the help. Ive been adding a little bit of brine shrimp to the tank for ammonia plus I'm sure I have a good amount of die off from the rock since there is ammonia in the tank . I am also going to look into getting a quarantine tank ASAP lol.

Marcquez08 said:
Thanks a lot guys really appreciate the help. Ive been adding a little bit of brine shrimp to the tank for ammonia plus I'm sure I have a good amount of die off from the rock since there is ammonia in the tank . I am also going to look into getting a quarantine tank ASAP lol.

What makes the rock "live" is the bacteria on it. It eats ammonia. If the rock is out side of water for too long you will have die off. As long as it has ammonia to eat.. It should not die.

I was referring to the coralline algae on the rock dying off. But from what I am told if it dies off during the cycle it would grow back once the parameters reach good levels.

The nitrite levels in my tank are increasing and were increasing when my damsel staring gasping for air and breathing rapidly. He also did have about 3-4 white spots on a gill and his body. So is it possible that he may have not had ick in the first place and his rapid breathing could have just been a effect of the nitrites?

If it looked like rice spots then it was most likely Ich. Don't take any chances and leave the tank fallow of fish for the next 6-8 weeks.

Am I supposed to lower the salinity during the 6-8 week period? Or just leave it be

DO NOT lower the SG in the display tank while there are no fish in there. There may be inverts that cannot survive is low salinity.

I have nothing in the tank. For some odd reason I same a brine shrimp swimming in the tank a few days ago I'm assuming is came on the live rock. For future reference, can inverts be affected by ick?

Try some natural ways like a cleaner shrimp, lower your saltinity to 0.19 if fish only tank.If he is eating at all theres a good chance he might fight it off on his own like the flue Dont Sress him at all.

I have nothing in the tank. For some odd reason I same a brine shrimp swimming in the tank a few days ago I'm assuming is came on the live rock. For future reference, can inverts be affected by ick?

Nope, only fish can get ich :).

Try some natural ways like a cleaner shrimp, lower your saltinity to 0.19 if fish only tank.If he is eating at all theres a good chance he might fight it off on his own like the flue Dont Sress him at all.
.019 isn't going to help with ich. It will not be good for cleaner shrimp though.

Back
Top Bottom