Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ich Help!

My sail fin tang got a bad case of ich. I noticed it yesterday and unfortunately he was dead by morning. Now my tank is infected.

My LFS highly recommended Ich-X. They said it works great and is reef safe. I'm a little skeptical because Of what I've read online.

On the other hand I've read some good things about Ruby Reef Kick-Ich. All of the reviews said it didn't harm any coral or inverts.

Does anyone have experience with either of these products in a reef tank?

I have a 10 gal quarantine tank, but I don't think it would support 8 fish for 30 days while I wait for my display tank to be naturally rid of Ich.

How effective is a UV sterilizer in preventing things like this?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack22 View Post
My sail fin tang got a bad case of ich. I noticed it yesterday and unfortunately he was dead by morning. Now my tank is infected.

My LFS highly recommended Ich-X. They said it works great and is reef safe. I'm a little skeptical because Of what I've read online.

On the other hand I've read some good things about Ruby Reef Kick-Ich. All of the reviews said it didn't harm any coral or inverts.

Does anyone have experience with either of these products in a reef tank?

I have a 10 gal quarantine tank, but I don't think it would support 8 fish for 30 days while I wait for my display tank to be naturally rid of Ich.

How effective is a UV sterilizer in preventing things like this?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Best advice would be to find a tank on craiglist for the cheap a 40 breeder would probably be plenty large you can probably find one or a size close for the same price as that medication. Or just get a 20g and have 2 QTs running.

Quarantine for atleast 4 weeks with hypo and your fish and display will be ich free at the end. No risk and guaranteed results, dont buy into the miracle ich cures. Doing it the right way the first time will save you time, money, livestock and frustration.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the help. Do I have to go hypo salinity in both tanks or just the QT tank with the fish in it?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

What can I do to insure I don't contaminate my tank when adding fish in the future?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Do I have to go hypo salinity in both tanks or just the QT tank with the fish in it?
Only hypo in the QT tank, but has to be all fish, the display tank must be fishless, i would give it six weeks to be safe reef tanks cant handle hypo or copper.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What can I do to insure I don't contaminate my tank when adding fish in the future?
QT all fish you purchase for at least 3 weeks and you'll never have this problem again.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

The owner of my LFS told me that if I add a UV sterilizer to my tank and run it at the proper flow to kill parasites it will kill the Ich in my tank and I don't need to quarantine my fish or treat with any other medication. Is this true?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack22
The owner of my LFS told me that if I add a UV sterilizer to my tank and run it at the proper flow to kill parasites it will kill the Ich in my tank and I don't need to quarantine my fish or treat with any other medication. Is this true?
No, it's not true. It can help prevent ich, just like boosting your fishes immune system with adding garlic to their food, but will not eradicate ich from
your system. Some aquarists simply "deal" with ich in their system, actually I would say most do lol, but the right way is to treat the fish in QT, let the tank run fallow to rid it of ich, and QT all fish in the future prior to adding them to your tank.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com