Ich help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buxndux

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I think I'm dealing with my first case of ich. :( The fish is a falco hawkfish. I've had him a month and a half before he showed signs of ich. I made the rookie mistake of not QT him right when I got him. He was happy in my 55 gal long and then all of a sudden I noticed some white spots on his pectoral fins.. I immediately went out and got a 10 gal tank and some copper free medication called kent Rxp. (It's old). I caught him (finally) and then put him in the new 10 gal tank with adequate flow, heater and thermometer. He's been in the tank for 21 days now. I've been following the directions on the bottle and dosing every other day and another dose when I do water changes. He eats and looks/acts completely normal. No white spots anywhere else besides his fins. He hasn't got worse or better. I've read Into the hypo salinity and the increased heat to quicken the protozoan life cycle but no luck. Also, I did a freshwater dip three days ago. Any suggestions? Does this sound like ich?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408648386.078462.jpg here's what his pectoral fins look like. No spots anywhere else. I feel bad for the little dude and want to get him better! If anyone has any good medications or remedies please drop me a line.

Thanks.

Keep him in there for 6 weeks. Freshwater dips usually stresses the fish more

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Normally I wouldn't have attempted a freshwater dip but he seems healthy. Besides the white spots obviously. He sees me walk in the room and he begs for food. I've been feeding him pellets one at a time and removing any and all waste.

Just wait it out. You don't want to take any chances infecting anyone else.

First off why did you choose a copper free medication when copper or hypo are the only two cures that truely work. Thats why the fish isn't getting any better.

Wow I didn't even see that written! U definitely need copper for the QT, just not in your display tank.

That doesn't sound or look like ick to me. The parasite hosts onto the body of the fish where it can get nourishment from the blood. Not on the fins. Sure, on a very bad case, some spots might appear on the fins, but it's only a small percentage of them, and those would probably die off.
It's gotta be something else if there are no spots on the body.

Back
Top Bottom