Ich? Help! Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piperky1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a six lined wrasse one week ago today. He had a white spot on him I noticed when I got him home. I put him in my quarantine tank (was never in my dt) and have been treating with a herbal ick treatment. A week later, the white dot is still there and hasn't gotten bigger or smaller. There are no other white dots on him anywhere. Does ick normally spread or will it stay in one spot like that? Does that sound like ick? Water parameters are all at zero.

Ick normally spreads it sounds like it could just be coloration on the fish but I also don't know the natural coloration of that kind of fish off the top of my head. I'd say keep treating for another week maybe raise temp a few degrees and see how it goes from there. I'd say keep him in qt for another 2 weeks though to be s safe

Ill try to get one and post but he is still pretty shy. He is getting used to me and coming out more.

It's probably not coloration, but if it is a single spot, it could just be a scrape from bring netted. Ich tends to not just stay as one spots. See if you can get a picture, but I know those wrasses can be skittish and don't always pose for pictures.

The herbal treatment is probably not going to do anything if that is Ich. Treatments don't "cure" and if you are using QT (good for you) the main idea is to make sure any new purchases are healthy/disease-free or cured prior to putting them in your DT. Otherwise, its almost pointless.

So...white spot still there 12 days later. I haven't actually treated for ick. I read on one forum if you feed fish well regularly and kept water parameters in check, the ick would heal on its own. I've now read that isn't true. HOWEVER...no new spot has come up, swimming fine, never has been scratching. Could it possibly be ick? Going out of town next week so I won't be able to start a copper treatment. Of course I'm thinking its likely just a white spot? Will leave in quarantine while I'm gone. Any other advice anyone can give?

This may sound strange, but its hard to tell if it is raised. I don't think it is, but not totally sure. When watching him, he usually shows me the side without the spot. He is getting more used to me so maybe the more I watch, I will be able to tell. I've spent lots of time trying to tell if the spot is raised the past couple of days.

No. Didn't know I could use that in saltwater tank but ill get some. Thanks so much for all your help.

I'm pretty new to give advice but research HLLE It can cause spots ... cause is high nitrate levels,,,, also check out About.com/saltwaterAquariums or fishvet.com

Its not ich... Ich grows like salt all over its body... Have you seen it scrach itself against filter or any thing in your quarintine tank? Probably not but if its eating well.. Should be good.. Might be like a fungus youl need to treat it... My maroon clonwfish had a white mmark on its mouth had it for 6 months no problem didnt effect any fish or anything.

Back
Top Bottom