Ich hippo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtale

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wonder if anyone can send me images of a hippo with Ich?
I'm a bit lost as to if this fish has it.
Looks like air bubbles on him maybe 8 small
He's in reef so what could I treat him with ?
Thanks

What treatment besides garlic flakes can I safely put in with my corals
Will the Ich on the Hippo kill ALL fish?
I have two blood shrimp and two cleaner shrimp and a sand Gobi
I can't net the Hippo
I have 7 fish
Please help

Garlic flakes wont do anything to the parasite. You`ll need to QT your fish and treat.

I have heard of using kick Ich
Metronidazole ... There must be some treatment I can use to treat the tank with Ich meds. I'm feeding garlic flakes doing weekly water changes. I can't net the Hippo I've tried. What about UV sterilizer ?
My concern is for my corals I have a lot of coral and few fish.
Hippos are bad for Ich
I won't replace the hippo because of that.

There is NOTHING that can cure Ich and allow the corals and inverts to live. (PERIOD).

IMO hyposalinity is the best method. When the hypo is done, the display tank if ready for fish again.

I tore down 185 pounds of LR to get all my fish out a 125g tank to do a Hyposalinity treatment in a 30 gallon QT.

Read the articles that were linked about the life cycle of that parasite. Once it is in your tank the only way to eliminate it is to remove all fish for 6 - 8 weeks.

Here's the article on Hyposalinity.

Ich looks like small salty grains. If you google it, there are lots of pics. They don't look like bubbles. Before you start treating anything you need a positive idea of what the disease is. Unfortunately the meds and treatments that actually work aren't reef safe. Reef safe meds, in most folks experience, dont work.

cmor1701d said:
There is NOTHING that can cure Ich and allow the corals and inverts to live. (PERIOD).

IMO hyposalinity is the best method. When the hypo is done, the display tank if ready for fish again.

I tore down 185 pounds of LR to get all my fish out a 125g tank to do a Hyposalinity treatment in a 30 gallon QT.

Read the articles that were linked about the life cycle of that parasite. Once it is in your tank the only way to eliminate it is to remove all fish for 6 - 8 weeks.

Here's the article on Hyposalinity.

Reef safe meds don't work PERIOD

Just tore down my 55 with 6 fish, coral, shrimp, snails and a lot of other stuff and set up a qt tank. You don't think you need it till you do. Or wait till all the fish die and go fish less for 6-8 weeks and ich will die off. One of 2 choices. Moving my fish was a hassle but they are all doing well... All but the six line hiding and not eating. It is a lesson learned. And thats life...

Well I tore down 120 pounds of live rock
Took out all corals to a clean tank. Put all our fish in a clean sand free QT tank and am treating the fish.
Tank sure looks different , couldn't get the rock the same so went with a new look.
Been another learning experience
Fwd we go !!
Thanks everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom