Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Anyway, AK47 yes I hope all goes well and I think the best thing you could do is do some frequent PWC`s . Hope all goes well

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
Old 07-17-2006, 11:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ick

ok guys , i just recieved a 20 gal tank. it was last used for fresh water. it has been empty for 1 month. i removed the gravel filter and gravel and rinsed it out good. ok. now do i put in the water from the 5.5 qt or remove 20 gallons from the main and add the proper dosage of coppersafe? if i use 20 gal from the main do throw away the 5.5 water?
the parameters are about the same in the qt and the main.
ok now after the life cycle of the parasite dies off will i have to clean my filter to remove any residue of the coppersafe and replace my filter and carbon?what about my live rock ? if i put it back to my main will it afect my inverts? shoud my qt have lights or should i leave the tank covered so it is dark? thanks

Old 07-17-2006, 11:52 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You will not be able to use any live rock in your main once you treat with copper so dont put any LR in your QT. Alot of people use PVC sleeves as places for the fish to hide.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 07-19-2006, 12:25 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ICK

THE FALSE CLOWN JUST DIED...... R.I.P. BOZO
IM GUESSING FROM STRESS BECAUSE HE HAD NO SIGNS OF ICK...'
3 FISH LEFT . THEY ARE EATING AND SWIMMING. NO SIGNS OF STRESSING OUT
Old 07-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

i just treated my fish with coppersafe. You only have to add it to the tank once but you have to have a copper test kit that measures chelated copper. If you do water chances you have to add the copper to the new water and test it for a copper reading before you add it to the tank( make sure the readings match) You also have to keep your tanks water at the same level all the time. I marked my tank with tape and added top off water as needed( don't add copper to top off water) You need to test your water 2 times a day. your reading for copper should be 1.5. The coppersafe bottle says to treat for 1 month but I found out the hard way that that is to long, 2 weeks is better.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had trouble reading this post so forgive me if this has already been covered..
For treating ich, you need to do one of two things. Hypo or copper. There are safe to use copper treatments but I only suggest that if treating the fish in a quarantine tank. Copper in your man is gonna kill of any inverts present and future. Hypo can be done in your main tank but this is only suggested if you have a refractometer. A hydrometer is just not accurate enough for the job. I'm glad to see you have a QT now and this is your best option. As stated, leave your tank free of fish for 8wks to kill off any ich that may be still in the system. The fish in QT can be treated with copper. I'd suggest cupramine. Also, keep water handy/mixed for water changes since they will be necessary often for the course of treatment to keep ammonia and nitrite levels down. The pvc elbows as suggested already are a good idea.

As for this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccapt
While I agree with most of what melosu58 said, one part is simply not true.

Quote:
Also the reason the purple tang has ick is that your tank is too small for it.
Ich MUST be present somewhere in the system for it to infect a fish. If you have a fish that is free of ich, you can keep it in a gold fish bowl (please don't try this at home) and it will not develop ich on it's own. Ich simply does not appear out of nowhere.
I'm not an ich guru but, in my opinion you both are right. Yes, ich has to be present but, as I understand it, a healthy stress free fish can carry the parasite without a problem. A fish that is in a tank to small can get stressed which compromises the immune system and this is when ich can become a danger to the fish as it takes over. A purple tang can work in a 55 for a while, if it is temporary. The fish is gonna need a larger tank to continue to be healthy.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Quote:
I'm not an ich guru but, in my opinion you both are right. Yes, ich has to be present but, as I understand it, a healthy stress free fish can carry the parasite without a problem. A fish that is in a tank to small can get stressed which compromises the immune system and this is when ich can become a danger to the fish as it takes over. A purple tang can work in a 55 for a while, if it is temporary. The fish is gonna need a larger tank to continue to be healthy.
You nailed it Fluff!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:34 PM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff
As for this...

Quote:
While I agree with most of what melosu58 said, one part is simply not true.

Quote:
Also the reason the purple tang has ick is that your tank is too small for it.
Ich MUST be present somewhere in the system for it to infect a fish. If you have a fish that is free of ich, you can keep it in a gold fish bowl (please don't try this at home) and it will not develop ich on it's own. Ich simply does not appear out of nowhere.
Maybe he did not understand me or maybe I did not understand him, Whichever you are exactly right Fluff. Thanks for clearing it up.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 07-20-2006, 10:59 PM   #19
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Ugghhhhhh

Bottom line is AK47 was looking for help and I think he got a ton of good advice.

To quote a well known marine aquaria author..."Ich is a parasite by the name of Cryptocaryon irritans. It must be present for a fish to become infested. You could keep a tang in a 1-gallon fish bowl and it won't get ich unless that parasite is present."

Old 07-20-2006, 11:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ugghhhhhh

Bottom line is AK47 was looking for help and I think he got a ton of good advice.

To quote a well known marine aquaria author..."Ich is a parasite by the name of Cryptocaryon irritans. It must be present for a fish to become infested. You could keep a tang in a 1-gallon fish bowl and it won't get ich unless that parasite is present."

The OP has been helped, unless he/she asks another question I think this post is done.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com