Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2004, 11:11 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump3842k
If your sure it's velvet or ich coudnt you use hyposalinty in your main tank for 4-6 weeks while keeping everything else in QT tank...thats what I did and it worked
If this was a sure case of C. irritans what you suggest is possible although all life in the sand bed would be extinguished as well. If there was a misdiagnosis and this was Amyloodinium ocellatum (velvet), hyposalinity would be ineffective. You need to use copper which cannot be used in the display tank.

Cheers
Steve
I concur, I tried this treatment for velvet (in a qt tank). It cost me 3 fish. Cupramine is a relatively mellow copper that works well.

Old 05-14-2004, 11:12 AM   #12
steve-s

BTW, moved to the SW sick fish/coral forum

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-14-2004, 11:45 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks All.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Quote:
I understand the cause of the infection is not irradicated by this method, and there is no true immunity from exposure (in case post that follow wanted to remind me of that LoL)
Cleaner shrimp, good diet with garlic, temps above 82, and UV are the remedy that works best for me, It won't be out of my tank as fast as a QT 4 - 6 week treatment, likely will never be 100% out, but I can keep it under control this way and hopefully my fish will be better for it in the long run.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 01:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Quote:
You knew this was comming so please do not be offended
No offense at all my friend, I respect your opinion and the polite way you challenge mine. The diversity of how we do things is what I love about this place. Anyhow, if we all did it the same way, we wouldn't have anything to talk about LoL

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Should I put a power head in the qt tank?

What Size Filter should I have for a 20-25g qt tank?
Old 05-14-2004, 09:45 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhtree
Should I put a power head in the qt tank?
Wouldn't hurt. I would use a slower flow model though. You need just enough to keep the water aerated (at the surface) without creating to much flow for the fish.

Quote:
What Size Filter should I have for a 20-25g qt tank?
What did you have on the 10 gal? Any type of HOB rated for that size tank should do. Especially with the added PH.

Just a note on the temp mentioned above... Above normal temps do not actually kill C. irritans but simpley speed up the life cycle. It can be a means to and end at times though. The optimum breading temp for the parasite is 86°.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-15-2004, 12:48 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I got the cupramine today, and the copper test. I will set up the new tank tomorrow. I hope it is not to late. It looks real bad tonight. The appetites are down, one not eating at all.

How long does it normally take to destroy the fish, once you notice the ich??
Old 05-15-2004, 01:26 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
It depend of if its velvet or ich. If its velvet, it can kill very fast. If its ich, it can kill fast too depending on the level of infestation. Ich also can dissapear for a few days, weeks and come back twofold.
I'm not sure about this, but based on you posts you may have velvet in you tank. I did not see anything about this in your posts until today. How long has this been developing? Velvet has a fast onset.
Either way I would move fast. Not eating is not a good sign.
Do you know how to fw dip? It could give you fish some relief when moving them to the qt tank.
If I could beat it, so can you.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:51 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks quarryshark, I needed that boost of confidence. How do you freshwater dip?

I have read some on it, but have never done it. What do you recommed is the best way?

Thanks.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com