Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
Refractometer I do have....however I posted weeks ago about a little help getting used to it and got no respsonse. What pH buffer would you recommend when it starts going wacky?

My current project underway
180 SW
2 overflows wet/dry ETSS skimmer Mag18 pump 2 Stealth Titanium heaters
Dog Face Puffer
Bamboo Cat Shark
Foxface Lo
Volitan Lion
and the almighty domino Damsel
the21kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Go back to my last post and look at the links I left you about sharks and hypo.

What is your question about the refractometer?
I use Kent buffer, it works good. Just go slow with it, raising PH too fast can hurt the fish.
What I do is buffer the change water.

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:32 PM   #13
Originally Posted by fishfirst
shark will be fine with hypo... there are some sharks that can stand complete freshwater... (bullsharks) so I would think he could be fine... they keep a higher salinity in thier body than the water around them so I don't see a problem with it
A shark will generally not survive hyposalinity. It can only be safely performed on teleost fish. Anything higher than 16 ppt will not kill the parasite.

Originally Posted by [url=http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinity.html
PetsForum[/url]]Please note that only the higher bony fishes have lower osmotic concentrations and can be treated this way. Marine invertebrates have the same osmotic concentration as the surrounding water (Schmidt-Nielsen, 1975) and if left in the aquarium during hyposalinity treatment are most likely to die due to osmotic shock. Sharks and rays may not survive hyposalinity due to their unique method of osmoregulation. They have similar concentrations of salts to that of marine teleosts (one quarter to one third that of sea water), however, they also have very high concentrations of organic compounds which gives their internal fluids the same osmotic concentration as sea water. While some can adjust to lower salinities, most will succumb to osmotic shock just like invertebrates.

ich, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com