ICH in reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickstar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently I have discovered ICH on my flameback angel. I've gotten rid of the ICH before but it took a long time. Does anyone have any tips on exterminating these parasites faster. I use this reef safe ICH treatment and that helps a bit. My ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are or very close to zero.

What other fish do you have? Ideally, you get fish into QT, treat with copper or hypo and leave your DT fallow for 6 weeks. I am not aware of a proven "reef safe" Ich cure. There are treatments, but those leave the risk of Ich returning. Get rid if it now, QT future additions and Ich is a thing of the past in your DT.

Are QTs expensive? And is there anything else I can do?

A qt is a bare bottom bare tank with a filter and heater it's used to observe new fish for illness and any signs of of behavior. All it should cost you is the price of the tank filter and heater. Once all is said and done you tear it down and save it for next time. As for anything else you can do I'm really not certain. Sorry I can't be much more help.

The are usually 10 or 20 gallons. Kinda depends on the size fish you eventually plan to buy. You need the water to be moving, so a small power head and/or filter works for that. Some people keep a small filter, or sponge, in their sump to add when they use their QT. that helps by adding beneficial bacteria right away. If temps would fluctuate a lot in your residence, you might need a heater. Go bare bottom and buy a piece or two of big PVC for hiding (places like Home Depot have this).

Places like Petco often have dollar a gallon deals for tanks. Filters aren't much. PVC is inexpensive. Heater, if needed, isn't much. When you figure the cost of the fish you are going to eventually buy and/or try to save, this really is an inexpensive piece of insurance to own. Treat fish in this now. Get the DT clear of Ich by leaving fallow. Put healthy fish back in. Then, QT future additions and treat if needed. Add those healthy fish to a healthy aquarium. Your DT should stay disease-free.

Back
Top Bottom