Ich @ LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speakerman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Petco is the only place here in town that sells saltwater fish and some coral. I can tell that most of their tangs and some of the other fish have ich.

If I want to buy coral or rock from them, would I be at risk exposing my tank to ich?

And if I want to buy fish from them, how exactly do I make sure I get rid of all the ich that might be on the fish? Should I set up a seperate tank with a crude filter system, and just run my new fish in it for a week or so and dose copper sulfate to kill the ich? Would the copper from the quarantine tank have a good chance of getting in the display tank and killing any inverts?

I'm trying to figure out a way I can safely buy local, otherwise I'm going to drive to houston or just place a big order online with AQUARIUMS, FIJI LIVE ROCK, REEF SYSTEMS, POND KITS AND MORE

I'd QT anything from there before exposing my display to it. Usually 3-4 weeks works, but you'll need to treat any fish for the disease.

I'd much rather make the drive or order online than risk anything from Petco in a marine tank. I've never seen healthy marine life in any Petco I've been to. :(

I refuse to buy stock from PETCO they are always in bad shape. I will either drive the 2 1/2 hours to That Fish Place or order online from fosters and smith.

I need an idea of what other people use as a QT tank. I don't have any other aquariums I can set up, so I'd have to buy one. could I just set one up with a hob filter and bio media, throw salt water in it and be done with it? no substrate or anything.

If you have pictures of your QT tank as well as specifications, please post.

I use a 10G with a HOB filter and a small PH, PVC for them to hide in and that is all. Nothing fancy!

20g
25w-50w heater
sponge filter or hang-on back filter
pvc for hiding
Thermometer
the end.

Assume all fish have some sort of disease no matter where purchased from and take the precautions by using the appropriate treatments. Perform some 'Searches' as this has been touched on.

its sad, the local petco's only salt tank has cyno and they seem not to care the least. Now i just go there for the frozen mysis shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom