ich, need help wat i can do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oyf709

Aquarium Advice FINatic
the long lasting ich problem came back once again... This time i decide i will not let it get worse, however i donnot know wat i should do to my dragonets.
I will move all fish (purple tang, cardinals clown fish blenny) to my QT.
But wat about my dragonets? My LFS said they will too need to be removed, but i am just afraid that 8 weeks without any pods for them to eat will just starve them to death. Am i worry too much? or I need to find some other solutions? Any one had exp with dragonet with ich?
Also i have a snowflake eel in my other displaytank which also connect to the main community tank. From one of the articale of reefkeeping said eel are the hardest to get infected by ich, do i still need to remove him as well? Cuz i know if i need to remove him that means i need seperate QT for him alone so it won't eat all my fish.
Plz help, cuz i might need to run to my lfs to gather enough eqquipment and medicine tomorrow or sometimes soon.

Do you have a refugium connected to the system and are you able to "disconnect" any adjoining systems?

If you can seperate the the dragonet, it would make your life much easier. The LFS is correct, it will pose a future problem if not dealt with like the rest. As for the eel, same thing. Even though they are highly resistant, they are like the dragonet, not immune. Best treatment to use in regards to the eel is hyposalinity.

Cheers
Steve

refugium yes...eel will be easier to do it since the tank he is in got no coral, hyperainity it is.but don't think i can put my mandarin in it with the eel. cuz its a small tank.
EDIT: I will setup a new tank for eel then...he is quite hardy

Actually I would suggest placing the mandarin in the refugium and disconnecting each system from the main. This will allow you to fallow the main tank and at the same time attempt to wien the mandarine onto prepared foods with some dilligence and patience.
http://marineaquariumadvice.com/synchiropus_splendidus_series_1.html

Remove as much rock from the eel tank if there is any. Just place it in a pail with heater/powerhead for the next two months. You will then be able to treat it by itself if you like. Just watch the water quality as there will be some die off from the sand.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinity.html

Very important with hypo is to watch the pH and salinity several time daily. Especially the pH in thefirst week and while dropping the salinity initially. Use buffered RO to aid the diluted chemistry and keep the pH steady while dropping the salinity. Be sure to use a refractometer.

Cheers
Steve

As Steve-s said, it's Hyposalinity. Check the link.

You may want to consider buying pods. I'm waiting on a shipment of "Tigger Pods" right now.

I did lose my mandarin during my hypo treatment. Now I have two... long story.

Good luck with your treatment.

oh...after reading the post reminded me that my refugium is full of small bristle stars =/
so i might need to give up them for the hypo treatment

It wasn't my intention that you should use hypo in the refugium. The "purpose" of moving the mardarin there was two fold. You eliminate all fish from the main so it can fallow appropriately and also to provide the mandarin with the right care environment (small, no tank mates, low flow) while you train it to accept prepared foods. If accomplished, you will have a much better go of treating it and ensuring your main display remains parasite free. After it's training period in the fuge, it can be moved to the QT after the others are done for it's neccessary treatment and then fallow the fuge as needed.

A little extra effort for sure but given your circumstances, not much options. 8)

Cheers
Steve

yea, i got wat u mean, its kinda like my only option if i want to make a certain cure for them.Unless i try to do the pray and cross fingure type of treatment, this is my only option.

Back
Top Bottom