Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Pghjeff71 Send a message via Yahoo to Pghjeff71
Ich Observation, Hypo and Hippo Tang

Over 6 weeks ago I received a hippo tang from an online retailer. Upon receipt of this tang it immediately developed ich, which I totally expected. I began hypo (which I've had incredible success with as noted in my prior posts); after 6 weeks of seeing no signs of infection I assumed the hippo was ready to be moved into the new main tank (ignore my sig, it's not updated). Upon placing the hippo tang into the main after two hours of acclimation I saw immediately it was reinfested with ich-literally the next day. I've never seen a fish develop it so quickly in my 10+ years in this hobby.

This has totally caught me off-guard. I had thought once this parasite was eradicated in quarantine there would be no chance of an outbreak. I followed the same exact procedures as before, using my refractometer to drop SG to 1.09 for 6 weeks.

I therefore have to assume that some fish ALWAYS carry the parasite in a dormant state. I guess at this point I will need to move the fish back into a QT and use copper, although I despise the use of harsh chemicals.

I'd appreciate any comments. TIA

- Jeff (now in a depressed state over this darn hippo tang)

additonal comments: when I received this tang it was horribly malnoursished and almost transparent it was so thin. Feeding a varied diet it has gotten quite plump, I use 'Garlic Guard' and 'Vita Chem' to enhance the foods I feed it. I'm at a loss here

Pghjeff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Hmm, maybe in the better light of the main it showed itself.
Or maybe it was in your main and your other fish were somehow resistant.
I know its a reach but there are more reistant parasites that show up from time to time.

Old 07-31-2005, 11:22 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Was your main tank fishless for all this time. You need to treat all your fish and leave the main tank fishless for 6-8 weeks. Then the ick will die out when it cannot attach to a fish. Many good threads on ick on this site. Hope everything turns out OK

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I can't say for sure, but I think he placed this fish right into qt, right?
Old 08-01-2005, 06:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Pghjeff71 Send a message via Yahoo to Pghjeff71
Hey guys thanks for the comments; the main tank I put the hippo into was a brand new cycled tank that has sat fallow for over 2 months. The hippo was placed into qt upon arrival.
Pghjeff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:08 AM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

OK

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

White spots are not always ich. I don't have any proof at this point, but I sucspect that the white spots that are often seen on hippo tangs may be something other than Cryptocaryon (ich). If your display was fallow for 6+ weeks before adding the quarantined tang it doens't fit the life cycle pattern of ich. It sounds like the hypo showed no signs of infecton for six weeks in quarantine and then it was obviously infected the next day after putting it in the display tank. Free swimming ich are very small and it takes a couple of days for the spots to get large enough to be seen easily. I don't see how the hippo could possibly have been Cryptocaryon irritans (ich). Did the white spots get larger over the next week and then start falling off of the fish? If the spots stayed basically the same size then that is a good reason to sucspect another parasite. If you are going to use copper then I suggest only using Cupramine. Test the copper level twice a day

HTH,
Terry B

Terry B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hippo, ich, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com