ich on firefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toothpik

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi
im not sure if my firefish has ich... its hard to tell bc of its cream colored body. but its appetite is ravinous and his gills are not flaring so any help here? i see little white specs but i think it is sand maybe hopefully

Hmmm, it could be sand or bubbles. See if they fall off at night and reappear in the morning. I like to soak my frozen in Zoe, Selcon and garlic guard, for 20-30 minutes.

adds nutrition and vitamins and good stuff like that to help strengthen the fishes immune system to help fight things off in case he does have ich. Basically like taking a multi vitamin when your sick to give you a little boost.

Keep in mind, it will not cure ich but has been proven to boost the fish's immune system (garlic guard, that is).

Thanks Roka ill keep that in mind...well i checked this morning and some of the white specs have fallen off so im hoping it is sand but u know how fire fish are they like to constantly get in sand holes so its really hard to tell and i dont want to treat it unknowingly but i do have to know by the end of today so i can call the LFS to hold that gorgeous Yasha Hashe goby for me!

The parasite will attach itself to the fish and then when it gets gorged it will fall off to the bottom and over 200 small ones called tomites will come from that one. If they are falling off then that`s what is going on. Also moving this to sick fish forum.

but how do you know if its sand or not because doesnt sand sometimes stay on burrowers such as the fire fish or other gobies?

I have two gobies and I`ve never seen sand on them. That does not mean it aint on them but I would almost think it was ick.

If you have a camera phone you could try that. I've seen some surprisingly good photos taken on here with camera phones. better then nothing i guess.

If you are that worried about the firefish possibly having ich, why not just remove it into a qt, purchase the Yasha that you've been wanting, and quarantine them both properly? Make sure there are adequate pvc pipes for cover. A 10g would more than suffice and you can perform water changes every day or every other day to prevent a cycle, unless of course you have a qt already up and running ;)

i dont have a qt up and running could u give me the steps so i could start one with out a mini cycle?

Last edited:
Quite simple by purchasing a sponge filter or small hob filter (remove media), add water from your tank, add your fish, and perform water changes every day (around 25%-50%). You will be kept on your toes during treatments so I warn it is not for everybody, but can be a successful option. I know you really want this yasha, but there will be more as I assure you it is not the last one to be sold ;) Patience in timing :) If you do not purchase the yasha you can cycle a 10g and place the firefish in it afterwards for treatment.

can i put the yasha and the firefish in the same qt? and kill two birds with one stone? lol you can tell i really want the yasha but i also love my current fish also

You can put both in qt, but it is a judgement call as to how comfortable you are in the process. I'm sure experienced aquarists would not have a problem with this method as it is common...

Back
Top Bottom