ich on my tang and in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edwardclaxton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently bought a kole tang, I know I should have quarantine him but I didnt. Now I have brought ich into my tank. None of my other fish seem to have it as far as I can see. Right now im using kick ich, I know that it has a chance to work amd then again it dont. I figured I would give it a try, but I want a back up plan incase it doesnt. I now will make sure every fish will be quarantined before going into my display I wont be making this mistake again. I only have a 40b tank that I can use for a quarantine tank. If kick ich doesnt work, I want to use the 40b as a hosiptal tank and let my display run for a month or two to let the ich life cycle run and die without any host for it to attach to. My question is can I put all my fish in the hospital tank, use egg crate or light diffuser to mak compartments for each fish so they wont fight due to them downsizing in tank volume. Also, is it possible to treat all fish at once? Because I dont know any other way because I only have one tank. If so, how should I treat them so that they are free from ich? I heard hyposalainty works well, will that be my best option? Maybe turning the lights off and warming or cooling the water? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

I learned the hard way as well about quarantining fish :( By the time I was done with leaving my DT fallow it had been fishless longer than it had fish in it.

By far the best treatment for ich is hyposalinity and sadly, you don't have much of a choice but to QT them all at the same time to do the treatment. You might look at craigs list to pick up a cheap used tank but that's about it. As for the compartments, I would advise against it. Tight spaces can be stressful for fish, especially tangs; and that is the last thing that you want.

Turning the lights off and warming the water doesn't help against ich in salt water the same way it does in fresh.

However, if this isn't a reef tank and you have 0 inverts then it's possible to do the hyposalinity in the DT and just get it over and done with. Another possibility is to remove all the coral and inverts to the 40 so you can do the hyposalinity in the DT. There will be people that will argue with me about this but a change in salinity isn't dangerous to bacteria so it shouldn't hurt your bio filter although it might kill any hitch hikers on your live rock causing a potential ammonia spike.

I'm going through exactly this and luckily its almost over. I have. 200 litre aquarium set up in my garage next to the saltwater mixing station so daily water changes are a doodle. Although still annoying.

I have coral and anemones in my tank and I was/ and still tempted to remove them and put them into another tank and hypo the display to kill off the ich in the display tank.

The most difficult part of it is being patient!

What about the craps and rock? Will it have negative effects on them with hypo?

Any and all inverts will have to be removed if you are doing hypo in the tank., It will also probably kill most of the hitch hikers on the live rock.

That's the exact reason I didn't do hyposalinity on my DT

Ok. I was just making sure. Can ich not host inverts? Bc if they can even if u take the fish out it will still be in your tank as long as there are inverts in the dt. But if they cant then they will die off around 6 to 8 weeks bc they have nothing to host, right?

Ich can't hose inverts but supposedly it is possible for it to be on them or in the water inside their shells.

I went through this problem 2 times, put the coral and inverts into your smaller tank, use cupramine by seachem in your dt for at least 4-6 weeks leaving you coral and inverts fish free for 8 weeks minimum.
Easiest way out

I went through this problem 2 times, put the coral and inverts into your smaller tank, use cupramine by seachem in your dt for at least 4-6 weeks leaving you coral and inverts fish free for 8 weeks minimum.
Easiest way out

I would highly suggest against the use of copper for treating a display tank. Especially one with inverts and corals in it. If you wanted to treat the fish with the cupramine in the QT tank that would be fine, but you don't want to run into any potential issues with copper exposure.

I would highly suggest against the use of copper for treating a display tank. Especially one with inverts and corals in it. If you wanted to treat the fish with the cupramine in the QT tank that would be fine, but you don't want to run into any potential issues with copper exposure.

Cupramine™ effectively eradicates Oodinium, Cryptocaryon, Amyloodinium, Ichthyophthirius, and other ectoparasites of both freshwater and marine fish. It is superior to copper sulfate, chloride & citrate: it is non-acidic, less toxic to fish, remains in solution, and does not contaminate the filter bed. It is superior to chelates: it is fully charged (ionic), active at low concentrations, and is removable with carbon.

Yes, I can red a product description as well. But that still doesn't mean it is in any way a good idea to use in a display tank.

No one is going to like this. But when my scopus got ich I removed him only from the tank and traded him back to the LFS. Then a few of the fish showed signs. And we didn't have the means for a qt/hospital. We did weekly water changes , we soaked their food in garlic , and made sure everything was as chill and stable in that tank as possible. And everyone recovered. We haven't seen signs since, and have added 2 new fish.

Alright im taking my fish put of the dt and into a 40 breeder. Now for lights I have a 1 bulb t5. A heater, but the only type of filtration I have to use is a carbon and gfo reactor. I dont have any hob filters. Will this fine since hob filters usually have carbon in them anyways? Also I have a air pump to help with oxygen when I start raising the salinity level back up to normal. I also have a powerhead to put in there. As welll as some lasrge pvc pipe and a couple small pieces too. Am I missing anything? Besides then refractometer I have to oreder one.

I recently bought a kole tang, I know I should have quarantine him but I didnt. Now I have brought ich into my tank. None of my other fish seem to have it as far as I can see. Right now im using kick ich, I know that it has a chance to work amd then again it dont. I figured I would give it a try, but I want a back up plan incase it doesnt. I now will make sure every fish will be quarantined before going into my display I wont be making this mistake again. I only have a 40b tank that I can use for a quarantine tank. If kick ich doesnt work, I want to use the 40b as a hosiptal tank and let my display run for a month or two to let the ich life cycle run and die without any host for it to attach to. My question is can I put all my fish in the hospital tank, use egg crate or light diffuser to mak compartments for each fish so they wont fight due to them downsizing in tank volume. Also, is it possible to treat all fish at once? Because I dont know any other way because I only have one tank. If so, how should I treat them so that they are free from ich? I heard hyposalainty works well, will that be my best option? Maybe turning the lights off and warming or cooling the water? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Omg i have the same tang and it's wierd mine looks like he has iCh every time in the mourning but after like 2 hours it just disappears. I also known and see this time that my tang had iCh because he was swimming wierd. But again after 2 hours it's gone and it doesn't look like sand at all I got to say is he is a strong fish?

Back
Top Bottom