Ich on sensitive fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwburleson97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a copperband butterflyfish and a pink and blue goby. They were both in the same tank at the LFS and ate like pigs, no signs of ich. I have them in a QT and now the butterflyfish looks like it has about 4 spots. I understand that these guys are sensitive to copper..is that true? What about the goby? He isn't showing any signs of ich. How should I treat them? Should I separate them? I do have another tank I could set up.

There are other means of treating ich besides copper. You might want to consider hyposalinity.

I didn't have much luck with hypo in my last battle but I'm willing to try again. What's your opinion on adding a cleaner shrimp along with hypo in the QT?

I dont think that would be a good idea. The shrimp are too sensitive to salinity changes.

I agree, the change in salinity would probably kill the shrimp. The shrimp would not be able to keep up with the ick. Can you get a pic? You can also soak their frozen in garlic guard (keep in mind, this will not kill the ich) but it may help to boost their immune systems.

Hara said:
I dont think that would be a good idea. The shrimp are too sensitive to salinity changes.

I agree that it will most likely kill the shrimp.

roka64 said:
I agree, the change in salinity would probably kill the shrimp. The shrimp would not be able to keep up with the ick. Can you get a pic? You can also soak their frozen in garlic guard (keep in mind, this will not kill the ich) but it may help to boost their immune systems.

I've found garlic extreme worked for me. Because the ICH is in the tank putting the fish in a QT tank cures the fish until it's returned to the main tank.

From the advice from a high end LFS owner. He said ICH was like the common cold, It's always around and you catch it when your immune system is compromised. With SW fish moving from one tank to another causes stress. Stress=ICH.

Before anyone says garlic wont cure ICH. There in no cure for the common cold either but there's a whole isle in the drug store devoted to the cold.

But there is a cure for ICH, proper hyposalinity or copper are proven to kill ich, along with a fallow tank, they will starve. I do not believe ich is present in every system, but that should be addressed in another thread.

Back
Top Bottom