Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2003, 09:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
Ich Outbreak on my Powder Blue

Hello everyone, Please help. It seems like my Powder Blue seems to be flooded with Ich in the morning and towards the evening, he is complety healthy, Is this healthy & normal?

Old 10-02-2003, 10:02 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

How much does the tank temperature fluctuate? Chillier temperatures will readily bring on ich symptoms.

Healthy & normal? No....the fish is infected with the Ich parasite, and should be removed to a quarantine tank and medicated. The main tank should be "fishless" for approx. 5-6 weeks, so all traces of Ich will perish.

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 10:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My temp in the tanks stays within the temp of 79-80 degrees, I have a chiller so their really isnt any temp flucuations. Also, I have a lot of fish in my 125 so do I need to take all those fish out too. Also, I hear that if a fish is sick all fish are somewhat sick so you need to treat the whole system.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

When you say "flooded with Ich" do you mean you see white spots on the fish? And what do you mean when you say "completely healthy" in the evening? Are the white spots gone in the evening?

Ich can't appear for a few hours and then disappear and then reappear in the morning. The life cycle of the trophont (parasitic stage that you see as white spots) is 3-7 days.

Did you introduce anything new into the system lately?

Moved to "Sick Fish/Coral" for appropriate comments...
Old 10-02-2003, 11:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Michel
You are right that Ich is less visible in the mornng and more at night because lights has an effect on them...
As far as the other in the tank yes they may get it but usually if not too infected they can fight...
Good variety of food soacked in garlic extract has helped in the past
I'm sure other will have suggestions also...
Good luck
Old 10-02-2003, 11:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No I haven't introduced fish in the tank for a while & they all just recovered from an ich Outbreak, its just the Powder Blue that have spots when the lights are off & when I turn them on after 5 hours, they seem to dissappear. Also, to answers Michael questions, I use Garlic extreme at least once a day with frozen food, 2-feeding Formula one & two- along with some spectrum pellets 3- feeding algae sheets.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
when I turn them on after 5 hours, they seem to dissappear.
Hmm. I wonder if, as Michel says, they are simply less visible when the lights go out. Again, ich won't appear as disappear in a few hours span. But I guess if one couldn't see them because of the lighting, it would seem that they are disappearing...

I would get that Tang out of that tank and into a quarantine tank as soon as possible. I am still hesitant to offer suggestions on how to rid the ich from the fish as I am not sure it has it. Although, you did say that your other fish just recovered from ich so it is definitely possible.

There are only two proven remedies for ich. Hypo salinity and copper. I would recommend hypo before copper, as you will have to monitor the copper twice a day to make sure you have a high enough dose to kill ich but not too high so that you kill your fish. If you do decide to go the copper route, make sure you keep copper levels under .25 ppm and over .15 ppm. Leave the fish in for four weeks.

If you go the hypo route, adjust your quarantine tank to a SG of 1.009 and leave the tang in there for 4-6 weeks.

BTW, you cannot use either of these methods in your display tank if you keep or ever plan to keep inverts. A QT tank is necessary.

Perhaps someone else will chime in with some other suggestions.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:30 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
No I haven't introduced fish in the tank for a while
Richard this goes aganst what you told us in chat the other night. After pulling hairs you eventually told us that YES the PBT and the Purple tang both where purchased approx 3 weeks ago and soon after that all your fish had an ick outbreak. You also said that all the other fish have recovred at this point but the PBT is still suffering.

Also for the record as alot of the people giving you advice here where not in chat that evening please list the fish that you have and describe your setup as best you can.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can you use Copper (Cuprimine) and Hypo Salinity at the same time???
Old 10-02-2003, 02:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Can you use Copper (Cuprimine) and Hypo Salinity at the same time???

No. Waaaay to much stress on the fish. Besides, each of the above methods WILL kill off ich by itself. Don't need to use both...

Tags
ich, outbreak, powder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com