Ich - perfect parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kennedycurse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a 1 month old tank and my snowflake clowns that I have had for about a week have ich. So I got cleaner wrasse and cleaner shrimp. What else can I do? I really don't want to lose these guys. I am going the natural way but if necessary I can do anything. I have been doing 10% water changes every few days. Please help me. Thanks!

Hyposalinity or copper treatment in a qt tank. That's the only way to get rid of ich. The shrimp and the wrasse do nothing for it .

I have no way of doing a quarantine tank. What are my intank options? - The cleaner wrasse has been picking at the ich nonstop, thats not gonna help?

I have no way of doing a quarantine tank. What are my intank options? - The cleaner wrasse has been picking at the ich nonstop, thats not gonna help?

Find a way to set up a quarantine tank......

The two main treatments for ich are copper based meds or hyposalinity, which neither corals or inverts can tolerate and will die. If you use a copper based med, it will permeate everything in the tank, including the silicone seals, and inverts nor corals can be kept in that tank ever again...... hence the need for a seperate hospital/QT tank.

I am going out of town for the weekend and can not do qt tank due to the time involved. When I get back I can but I don't want it to be too late.

If you can't start treatment immediately, best I can tell you at this point is that they may be OK, they may not..... How long ago did you notice the ich, and how bad is it?

Started a few days ago, its not really bad i'd say its a mild case. But I am still concerned.

Well, there really is no such thing as a mild case.... ich is ich. It doesn't sound like you have much choice but to wait, but I'd get to work pronto as soon as you get back.

I know it doesn't help you much now, but you've just learned that preparation is key.... things like this never happen at an opportune time. Here's a short thread I posted on just yesterday regarding hospital/QT tanks.......
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/hospital-tank-254891.html

Do u feed with garlic? If not, start with that, the garlic will assist the fishes immune system.

Another thing u can use if u have access to get it is the Dr.Gs frozen medicated food. It's reef safe, if any of it lands on a coral just use a turkey Baster to blow it off.

Good luck!!

Okay thank you. Yes I have been soaking food in garlic. That medicated food looks cool maybe I can try and find some of that to start. Thanks

I know it is not good to dose a tank but what about korodon ich attack all natural both of my lfs's recommended but was hesitant.

Ich attack doesnt work. And also there is no proven info that shows garlic boosts immune system . It is an appetite stimulant nothing more. It does help to get your fish eating if they are not though. Imo that's what helps them fight it ( eating ) not the garlic itself .

There are a lot of articles online that talk about marine Ich. I suggest reading a few so that you can see/hear what works and what doesn't. The prior posts about copper or hypo in a QT are proven methods to cure Ich. Ideally, you leave the DT fallow for 6 weeks to allow the Ich to die off in there. No fish to host and it can not survive.

I know it is not good to dose a tank but what about korodon ich attack all natural both of my lfs's recommended but was hesitant.

I wouldn't add any kind of treatment to your main tank, I don't care if it says "reef/invert safe"........

There are a lot of articles online that talk about marine Ich. I suggest reading a few so that you can see/hear what works and what doesn't. The prior posts about copper or hypo in a QT are proven methods to cure Ich. Ideally, you leave the DT fallow for 6 weeks to allow the Ich to die off in there. No fish to host and it can not survive.

Agreed.... once you QT your fish, you want to leave them in there for about 6 weeks, even if they are cured. The ich parasite can survive in your main tank without a host for about 4 weeks or so, so you need to QT just a bit longer for insurance that they've gone through a full life cycle & died off.

Tank needs to be empty for 8 weeks in order for the ich to be 99.8% dead. Longest time ever was 13 weeks for it to due off but that is a rarity

Ich attack doesnt work. And also there is no proven info that shows garlic boosts immune system . It is an appetite stimulant nothing more. It does help to get your fish eating if they are not though. Imo that's what helps them fight it ( eating ) not the garlic itself .

Allicin a.k.a Allium sativum such as found in seachems garlic guard has some "therapeutic/health value" It has antibacterial, antiviral and anti protozoal ability... However, it's not be mistaken nor recommended (solely) as a cure...

I have been told that but allicin is not able to be absorbed and is so unstable it converts to other compounds. Not trying to be rude but again there will never be proof that it raises immune systems or does anything besides stimulate appetite

Back
Top Bottom