ICH problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soto413

Aquarium Advice Regular
on February 21 i switched from a 50 gal to a 75 gal and about 3 days later i started to notice white spots on my Foxface , i went to my LFS and the guy said it was ich and most likely because of stress from switching tanks, anyways i have been using Herbal Actives Herbtana for a week now (7 days exact) and it does not seem to be getting any better it has actually spreaded to 3 of my other fishes, is there anything else i can do to help this go away besides the treatment i am using?

Unfortunately there are only 2 proven methods for treating ich - hypo salinity and copper, both recommended to treat in a QT as copper can kill inverts. Have a search on here, there are so many threads on here daily about it. The other bummer is leaving your tank fallow ( completely fish less) for 6-8 weeks while the ich dies. Failing to do his will only result in the parasite coming back later, often worse. Hate to say it but I would say the blue tang is the culprit here, being in a too small tank :( good luck, I hear its a tough battle...

Ohh Man , i dont even know what to say, im attatched to my fish wouldnt want to see anythikng happen to them. :(

You will want one now. Compared to the potential cost of losing fish, they are a wise investment. A 20g tank, a heater, some pvc pipes for hiding and a little filter and/or a small powerhead for water movement is all you need. Watch water parameters as this will start as an uncycled tank.

I agree with the info above...copper or hypo are your cures. Garlic supplements help boost immunity, but do not cure anything. Leaving your DT fallow for 6-8 weeks lets whatever is in there die off.

Keep an eye on your Tangs too. If you still have the Scopas and Hippo, they are next in line to catch this. Tangs are very susceptible to Ich and those two, being in a small tank, are probably going to be stressed. Stress lowers immunity, which opens fish up to stuff like this (especially Tangs).

Back
Top Bottom