Ich Problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ericjsciulli15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everybody,
I'm new to this site, but I thought I'd give it a try because I recently started a saltwater aquarium (it's been up for about 2 months) and I've had some issues with ich. Recently, my dogface puffer and Niger trigger just died of ich. Before that, I had a Huma Huma trigger in the tank for about 72 hours, but it bullied and killed my juvenile red coris wrasse, and then mysteriously died a day later. The only thing I noticed was that a couple times I saw him brush up against the live rock. Now that makes me wonder... Could he possibly have brought the ich into the tank? The damsel is the only fish in the tank... What can I do moving forward? I really appreciate the help! Looking forward to hearing from you guys!
55 gallon tank, 50 lbs. live sand, 35 lbs. live rock, big hang on filter and cascade penn plax 1500 canister filter, 78 degrees, and the levels are all good.
-Eric

Ammonia- 0 / pH- 8.2~3 / Nitrite- 0 / Nitrate- 20 / Salinity- 1.025 / Temperature- 77~78

If you had fish with Ich and have not done anything to kill it off, then it very likely is still in the tank and will continue to get future additions. It's no fun, but you want to QT whatever fish you still have and treat with copper or Hyposalinity. Leave your display tank fallow for 6-8 weeks. Fish will be Ich-free and whatever was in the tank will have died off due to not having a host. Anything short of that is worthless.

There are links to online articles in other threads . It is a good idea to read up on this and understand how it works and how to treat.

Agree with the Todd, I would get rid of the damsel (because I personally don't like them-little meanies) and leave the tank fallow for 6-8 weeks. It's also worth noting that none of those fish you had are suitable to a 55g, which could have been the cause of the stress in the first place. Dogface puffers and trigger fish are not only some of the most aggressive fish they all belong in tanks at least three times bigger than yours...

Thanks a lot for the help you guys. The puffer and the Niger trigger were both pretty small, though. I know they grow fast, but they were both pretty little. And also, I didn't have any issues until that Huma Huma came in... You don't think that has anything to do with it?

Actual fish size is not the reason for recommended tank sizes, it's because of the fishes swimming habits and territorial habits. The huma could have bought ich into the tank but it may have also caused stress because there was not enough room for all those big fish. I am not sure if triggers are ok with each other, someone else may be able to confirm mixed species living together but again two in closed quarters was always going to lead to trouble. I wouldn't recommend adding any of those fish going forward, use live aquaria as a guide for recommended tank sizes and fish compatibility and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but QTing all new arrivals before introducing them to the display will save your tank in the future :)

Oh okay I see! Everybody I talked to said the puffer would be okay in the 55, but I guess I should be more careful! And the two triggers weren't in the tank at the same time! The Huma Huma killed the wrasse and then he died the next day. Then it was only the puffer and damsel for about two weeks, and then I put in the little Niger. I've read that about quarantining, so I've considered it, but I've also heard from people who have had success without one, so I'm just not sure :( But I should try to play it safe. Do you guys recommend a UV Sterilizer moving forward?

I wouldn't bother with a uv sterilizer, just go fallow for the 8 weeks or so and start again. Not QTing is a gamble so it's up to you, but you may have just wiped your tank by not doing it this time! I have always QT new arrivals, particularly when you have a stocked tank it's just not worth the risk!

If you like the puffers I keep a bennet's sharpnose puffer in my 55 and there are a couple of others that would suit too

Attachments

• image-2125240050.jpg
    image-2125240050.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 73
  • image-2883785184.jpg
    image-2883785184.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom