Ich Query

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some of you guys know I'm currently battling ich.. Im in the middle of QT'ing all fish, just have to catch 2 more..

I have a quick Q though,

As soon as i put the fish into QT within hours the white spot seems to disappear? Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks

Matt

Most likely the change in environment, the trophont has probabley moved on to the tomont stage. There will also be some that would have been damaged by netting.

Is there a treatment under way or are you waiting on the last two fish?

Cheers
Steve

There is a treatment already under way.. Using copper.. Not waiting on last two fish.. will catch them on my day off.. two days away..

I have already noticed all white spot has left fish completely..Maculosus Angel has been in QT for 3 weeks(back to full strength i believe), tomato clowns 1 week. Still needing to catch sailfin and chromis.

For some stupid reason when i first put tomatos into main they got the white spot (which i thought was sand stuck to them) put them back into QT, disappeared so i assumed it was sand.. put back into main and got white spot again, by taking all fish out will eliminate the transfer to other fish correct?

the only thing that'll be left in the tank is a starfish, cbs, x2 cleaners and zebra moray.. ive found no evidence that the moray will host the disease once all fish are QT'd.. (also no more room in QT)

anything else i can do?

StripesTheEel said:
There is a treatment already under way.. Using copper.. Not waiting on last two fish.. will catch them on my day off.. two days away..

I have already noticed all white spot has left fish completely..Maculosus Angel has been in QT for 3 weeks(back to full strength i believe), tomato clowns 1 week. Still needing to catch sailfin and chromis.
Once all the fish have been transfered this effectively puts your treatment time back to square one and your fallow time for the main as well. Having some of the fish already in a copper solution for so long a time is not wise. 3 weeks is the maximum time frame you want to treat when using such a treatment. Be very careful you watch the condition of the fish, especially the feeding response. This is often the first sign that the copper is taking it's toll. Hopefully the last fish to be captured will fo in a seperate QT?

by taking all fish out will eliminate the transfer to other fish correct?
As long as the display tank remains fish free for 6-8 weeks yes but as I said above, you've greatly extended your treatment time unless you have multiple QT's.

ive found no evidence that the moray will host the disease once all fish are QT'd.. (also no more room in QT)
Quite true they are extremely resistant and the instance of them hosting the parasite is quite rare if at all. The main thing here is to be sure the main tank is very well maintained and the health of the eel is top notch. A less healthy eel can just as quickly become infested if it's immune system is compromised.

anything else i can do?
Just be sure all fish are fed a highly nutritious diet and water parameters are maintained daily. The more you can do to keep the fish's immune systems strong and their environment healthy, the better they will be throughout the treatment.

Cheers
Steve

Having some of the fish already in a copper solution for so long a time is not wise

I removed copper as soon as i saw the physical state of the angel was back to normal.. over the 3 week period copper has only been in the system for a period of 5 days.. 2 - 3 weeks ago and 3 as of 2 days ago..

the health of the eel is top notch

yeh this guy is fat and looking great..

thanks steve,

help is appreciated and as always top notch..!

StripesTheEel said:
Having some of the fish already in a copper solution for so long a time is not wise

I removed copper as soon as i saw the physical state of the angel was back to normal.. over the 3 week period copper has only been in the system for a period of 5 days.. 2 - 3 weeks ago and 3 as of 2 days ago..
Kinda confusing but no need to explain further. A few points though...

Treatment must be continuous for a minimum of 14 days when using copper.
Each fish added to the QT after treatment begins effectively restarts the clock and put you back to day one.
The tank fallow time does not start until the last fish is removed.

Unless you have multiple QT's on the go, you will need to retreat all the fish again to be sure the parasite does not get re-introduced.

Cheers
Steve

KICK ICH thats all i have to say no qt no cathing or moving the fish. 14 days and you are ich free. I have used this and it worked great.

Kick Ich has mixed results depending on who you talk to. I've used it as well and it took two treatments to kill the ich. Much longer than 14 days but yes, it did work eventually.

Qt seems to be doing the best out of all these quick fixes..

I have used a product called Equilibrium.. reef and invert safe...

Didnt notice the ich problem disappear.. After spending $200 on a bottle..

Back
Top Bottom