Ich question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
Don't laugh!! I feel like this is a dumb question, but I'm curious

I'm not dealing with ich now, but surfing the treads made me think. I always hear of fish like tangs getting ich when they are introduced. But if you get rid of the ich in the tank on all fish in the tank and, is it possible for the fish to get ich a few months down the road if stressed? I doubt it, since the ich was all killed months ago, just curious.

They can, but it has to be present in the tank in order for that to happen. Without it present, they may get some other disease or issue, but not ich.

Thanks. I wasn't sure because I always hear about tangs coming down with it randomly. But I guess if that happens, ich was in the tank.

Ich is often associated with stress because stress weakens the fish, which allows whatever happens to be lurking the opportunity to pounce. Tangs have a naturally thin slim coat, which is bad for them combating parasites. Stress can not "create" a parasite though, so if you have a tank with no Ich and you put a fish in that is Ich-free, the system remains Ich-free. You can however add a fish that does not appear to have Ich (but that does and is just not showing symptoms) and then the system is contaminated and it can go after other fish.

This is why QTing new fish is important. Taking a fish from your LFS that appears healthy and dropping it into your tank can cause problems. I made that mistake a few months ago with one fish, it ended up with MV and wiped out my tank (except for two Chromis that are currently in QT).

Ich is often associated with stress because stress weakens the fish, which allows whatever happens to be lurking the opportunity to pounce. Tangs have a naturally thin slim coat, which is bad for them combating parasites. Stress can not "create" a parasite though, so if you have a tank with no Ich and you put a fish in that is Ich-free, the system remains Ich-free. You can however add a fish that does not appear to have Ich (but that does and is just not showing symptoms) and then the system is contaminated and it can go after other fish.

This is why QTing new fish is important. Taking a fish from your LFS that appears healthy and dropping it into your tank can cause problems. I made that mistake a few months ago with one fish, it ended up with MV and wiped out my tank (except for two Chromis that are currently in QT).

I made the same mistake a few months ago too. Ended up two months without fish in my main tank. It's no fun and waiting a few weeks while the fish is in qt is better than waiting 2 months for the ich to die in the system. Ich sucks

There are so many things that fish can bring in from the LFS. Ich is one of the more common, but it's all bad and almost always requires a couple months with a fallow tank.

They can, but it has to be present in the tank in order for that to happen. Without it present, they may get some other disease or issue, but not ich.

I agree. It`s a parasite. Alot of times the newly added fish brings it in the tank. Here is some info on the parasite.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro

Back
Top Bottom