ICH Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigsnuff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a Regal Tang about a week ago and I have noticed a few white spots on his sides, he seemed stressed with the move/acclimation process. A Blue/Gold Damsel now has a white spot between his eyes. I was told by a friend of mine that it was ICH. My LFS recommended a product called Kick-ICH. Has anyone used it with success/failure? Thanks for the help

My LFS recommended a product called Kick-ICH. Has anyone used it with success/failure?

I've seen both success and failure with this product, but was never convinced it was the kick-ich that caused the ich to go away. If you'll do a search using the term ich or ick you should come up with tons of threads with many different methods for threating it, both in a quarantine tank and in the main tank.

natural is always a better thing

I had the same problem with my clowns, I purchased them from my lfs and a week later they started getting a few little white ich spots. I took a fresh clove of garlic and crushed it up real good and put it in the tank with the oil and all, this kills the ich and has healing properties and a whole lot of other things that are all good. It worked in 1 day for me!!! Take it out after about 3 days to insure good infusion, any other way of doing this is probably better, but hey, it worked.

Kick-ich appears to be a pepper solution that is apparently very irritating to fish. I have heard some horror stories reading on other forums. Just a "buyer beware" statement. I think there are many treatments that would be much better and will appear on a search here as mentioned.

Alright, after much research on this site and google, I have decided to forgo the Kick-Ich. I have raised the temp on my aquarium to 82* and started soaking the algae in Garlic juice before feeding them. Is there anything else you guys would recommend?

p.s. I did a 9 minute fresh water dip on my blue tang yesterday, he was pretty pi@#ed about the situation but he is alive and feeding today. I have to say I see no change in the spots on him. Should I do this again? Thanks!

Hi...I have a quarantine tank and have been using copper sulfate. Sounds like the garlic is more natural and can be used in the main tank...if this is true, it would be great to hear from others who have used garlic successfully. Other than doing a fresh clove, is there actually a 'fish' type garlic product that works?
TIA!!! :D
Lisa

Oh I forgot to mention that I have 4 fish in quarantine as they are my first purchase...besides some crabs and snails who are in the main tank which is a 72gl bowfront. I had the fish a couple days and one (royal gramma) had sort of greyish white spots and a day later my domino damsel looked like someone sprinkled a salt shaker over him....The will be in the tank for a month on the 28th. I have been using copper sulfate per instructions on box and maracyn the last 5 days as it looked like the gramma may have had fungus and not so much ick...anyway they all seem fine but am waiting it out for the full month as I want to be sure all parasites are dead.
Thanks!
Lisa

There are a few garlic products on the market, like Garlic Extreme by Kent I believe. It seemed very high priced though. I tried it for a week on my puffer, but it did not work and I was forced to switch to Formalin which worked great (scaleless fish should not be treated with copper). But I have seen other people use it and have apparent success. It is certainly worth looking into.

Garlic works more as a preventative measure..like adding brewers yeast and garlic to dog food to prevent fleas. You can make your own home made garlic oil quite easily. Then add the oil to prepared fish foods or put a few drops on your mysis and brine while it is thawing, it will absorb the garlic. This is also a good way to get fish that arent eating, to eat.

Back
Top Bottom