Ich question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceandelight

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I know this is going to sound like a stupid question but I am going to ask it anyways. So ich has 3 phases the phase where it is attached to the fish as white spots and then it falls off and then it reproduces and swims till it can find a new host and start the cycle all over again. If all of the whit spots have fallen off and I changed all of the water out of my QT tank won’t that get rid of the other two stages for the most part and then I can continue treating them even though I can’t see any white spots on them and it should speed up the process of the fish being ich free or not really? Plus since our QT tank has nothing in it except some plastic cups for hiding places, power head, protein skimmer, and heater it will help the water conditions for the fish and the better the water conditions the better the fish are? I know they have to be in this tank for 6 weeks at least but I would rather have them healthy as soon as possible in the tank then with the ich.

You're close but you would need two QT's for what you suggest to work, it's called the transfer method. Basically the fish are transfered between the two tank (under hypo conditions) a total of 4 times thereby reducing the theront/tomont each time. The previous tank being emptied, cleaned, dried & reset up for the next transfer.

It can be very very stressful on the fish and not something I would suggest when your just getting started.

One tank will not work because the tomont adhere's to hard surfaces when it encysts to multiply. The med you are currently using will have no affect on this stage so the theront will still be released and possibley infest the fish anew.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2004/mini5.htm

Water changes are always a plus but I would not suggest too much volume be swapped out unless necessary and above all be sure the new water used is well aged/aerated for a full day first. Partial more frequent water changes will be less stressful and usually maintain water quality much better. You just need to ensure uneaten foods and detritus are siphoned out as often as possible. Don't forget as well the new change water needs to be dosed/corrected less you reduce the treatment concentration.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom