Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2006, 03:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

ICH question about fish hosting

ok i have read all about it and im sure everyone is sick of replying about it, but a quick question,
I have a blue tang he is constantly with ich I want ich out of the tank, so what if i qt him only (the qt is not big enough for all the fish)
will the ich latch onto the others???

as the others are blue green chromies which as we all know are tough little guys, and then i have 2 cleaner wrasse. would any of these guys contract the ich if i took blue tang out?

just thinking out loud.

all thoughts are welcome

Old 05-30-2006, 05:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, ich is a free swimming parasite. To remove the completely the tank mush be fishless for 8 weeks ( the life cycle of ich ).

The UV will kill the free swimming stage of ich but nothing else, being a waste of money.

What inverts/corals do you have in your tank? I suggest you remove all inverts since your QT is too small for the fish and put them in there. With all your inverts out I would start hypo.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

my qt already has copper so that is not possible.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

All fish need to be QT and treated. The tank needs to be left fishless for 6-8wks or you'll never be rid of it.
QT tanks do not have to be anything fancy and can be as simple as a rubbermaid tub. It may not be the prettiest but it's cheap.

Tags
ich, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com