Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ich remains after 6 weeks of hypo???

Hey all,

I have had my puffer/damsel in hypo (1.008-1.009) for 6 and a half weeks.

I just started increasing the salinity and noticed that the puffer was doing some flashing (he wasn't at all during hypo.) I thought it might have been the changes in the water so I didn't worry so much.

Looking at the puffer again I noticed 2 white spots on his tail. I'm worried that the ich hasn't cleared up.

What would you guys do? I see the options as:

1. Wait it out and see if it gets worse to verify it is ich.

2. Lower the salinity immediately for another 6 weeks (I really don't want to do this, my patience is being streched already having my tank bare for almost 2 months I will if I have too though.)

3. Treat with copper. My worry here is that the puffer won't be able to handle the copper.

This is so frustrating!

Old 12-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

did you raise water temp?

Old 12-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water temp was over 80+ for the first little bit... then I read that its better to have it at a lower temp for hypo... so I lowered it to about 75 for the remainder of the treatment.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Raising water temp doesn't do anything for saltwater ich. Doing the hypo treatment at the normal temperature that you normally keep the fish is the best to minimize stress.

So when you did the hypo, did wait until the last white speck was gone until "starting the clock" on the treatment time? If not, that might be an issue. The treatment is 4-6 weeks at 1.009 AFTER you see the last ich spot disappear. It might take a couple weeks for that to happen.

If I was in your shoes, I'd probably just continue raising the salinity to normal levels and watch the fish for 2-3 more weeks before deciding what to do. If the ich is still there, it will probably be obvious after some time and then you'll at least know you still have to treat it one way or another.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Kurt.

The only one in the tank that was showing any ich symptoms was the puffer. I basically kept him in the hypo until he wasn't showing any more symptoms (heavy breathing, lethargic etc) then I caught all my other fish and put them in the hospital tank.

I started the clock when I put the damsel in there. The damsel never showed any signs of ich or spots so I never actually saw any spots on him. I thought the puffer was in the clear from spots but now I'm worried I might have missed 1-2 spots.

I'm going to do as you say and give the puffer more time to see if it gets worse. Also I'm going to keep upping the salinity back to what I'm going to keep my DT at. If it gets worse I'll decide what to do then.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

How are you checking the salinity?
If you are not using a calibrated refractometer, get one and start the Hypo clock over again.

When you do a PWC in the QT are you siphoning the bottom of the tank to remove any tomonts? The tomont stage can last as long as 35 days, which is why I prefer a 6 - 8 week hypo treatment.

If you haven't already read it, please read Marine "Ich"
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
bix
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm using a calibrated refractometer.

When I do my PWC I am siphoning the bottom to get rid of any dietrus etc, I'm trying to get rid of all of the tomonts but I can't see them so I can't be sure.

I had them in hypo for 6.5 weeks but apparently that wasn't long enough. I can see why people give up on this hobby. If this is ich again I'm probably going to sell everything and give up. I'll lose some money but at least I will have my time/sanity.

I realize the veterans here are going to assume I did something wrong with my hypo treatment. That's fine. I read everything I could on hypo treatment and did everything by the book. The one thing I might have missed was if there was a spot buried in the puffers gills or somethhing and it somehow survived the 50+ day hypo treatment.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix View Post
...The one thing I might have missed was if there was a spot buried in the puffers gills or somethhing and it somehow survived the 50+ day hypo treatment.
Or if you're not actually dealing with ich.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

yup.....picture can explain it....
Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Ich strains can also survive near freshwater conditions so it is not surprising either. Puffers can handle copper, just start with a half dose and raise slowly until therapeutic levels are reached. If you have the money, Chloroquine is safer.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com