Ich Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nugrad2005

Aquarium Advice Activist
So the ich is rampant in the 150. Now is the time to act.

This is what i'm proposing to do. Tell me what i'm doing wrong.

I'm going to raise the temperature of the tank to about the mid 80's (figure 84-86ish). And I'm going to raise the salinity, but by how much. We got a ton of stuff in the tank now and i don't want to kill any of it, but its only a matter of time before the ich wins and the fish die. Check out my profile to see whats in the tank(its alot different than it used to be, i haven't updated in over a month).

I also heard that people dose the tank with all sorts of different stuff like garlic and other additives. Let me know much work!!!

Thanks!!

-Dan

nugrad2005 said:
I'm going to raise the temperature of the tank to about the mid 80's (figure 84-86ish).

Raising the temp is a Myth. Unless treating the affliction this will do nothing but allow the parasite to multiply faster. The optimum reproductive temp for C irritans is actually 86F. Any temp required to kill ich will also kill the fish.

And I'm going to raise the salinity, but by how much.

Again, a myth. higher salinities will also promote increased populations of the parasite.

I also heard that people dose the tank with all sorts of different stuff like garlic and other additives. Let me know much work!!!

This can often aid in eliminating the problem but it is by no means a cure. At best it helps improve the fish's immune system thereby allowing a stronger resistance to the theront.

Your best course of action will be to round up the fish and place them in a QT environment and perform the proper proven remedies. Copper or hyposalinity

Also keep in mind that the tank must remain fallow for 4-6 weeks after all fish are removed to ensure the parasite dies out. As long as their is a fish host, there will be a re-occurance.

Cheers
Steve

I have to agree with Steve here. From my own experience and what I have read about it, he is right on the money. If you can get a copy of Robert Fenners book, "The Concientious Marine Aquarist", on page 162, Fenner recommends the exact same treatment. Fishfreek has used garlic I think, and may be able to give you some ideas about dosing it and it's effects on the fish.

Back
Top Bottom