Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2004, 07:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ich reoccurring

My fish have been in hyposalinity for 5 weeks and I have started bring the salinity back up. As soon it I start increasing the salinity, my neon goby is showing 2 white spots. It looks like the hypos treatment had not worked. It could be because I have only left it for 5 weeks.

And since I have raised my salinity, I am now considering of using Cupramine. Can anyone tell me how long I should use this for? The instruction say I need to keep Cupramine in the water for 14 days.

Secondary, since this is copper, my internal filter bacteria will be void. That means I would need to change water everyday. Should I re-dose with Cupramine after each water change? How can I keep the dosage to the correct level, with a copper test kit?

My main tank have been fallow for over 5 weeks. How can I be sure that ich has died? Even leaving it for a further 2 weeks does not guarantee the parasite has completely died.

Old 04-10-2004, 11:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Yes definately try the cupramine. I had a similar experience with hypo not working. 14 days on cupramine and we have been clean ever since.
It will kill your bacteria. I did a daily 30% water change and kept the dosage stable by medicating and testing the change water. Make sure you get seachems multitest kit. It worked great with this medication.
I left my main fallow for 8 weeks and have had no problem.
Good luck!!

Old 04-13-2004, 05:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

what about "kick ick" formula?
Old 04-13-2004, 06:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Never tried it. I have seen others state that it doesn't work.
Anyone out there tried this product?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Unfortunately my long nose butterfly has died after applying Cupramine. The other yellow tang and clowns are recovering fine. It seems the butterfly is very sensitive to any copper and the possible increase in NO2 due to the bacteria being killed off by copper. So I am not conclusive on which parameter that might have kill it.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdude
what about "kick ick" formula?
I've tried this and have not been lucky, however I have heard it work for some people.

Kwan, what SG did you bring your tank down to and what instrument were you using to test it with? If your SG was accurately measured and maintained at 1.009 I don't see how ick could have lived for 5 weeks?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I brought it down to 1.009 and monitored almost everyday using a refractometer. They looked fine for 5 weeks before I started raising the SG. I was convinced the ich has died, but for some unknown reason it started to come back. I am not quite sure what has gone wrong though.

Having just used Cupramine, I would still go back to hypo treatment next time to give it another try because it was definitely less stressful for my fish. Also it does not kill off the beneficial bacteria which would mean less frequent water changes.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

It may have been the ich. Are you testing the cupramine level and doing daily water changes to keep ammonia down? Cupramine for the most part is tolerated well and butterfly fish should not be overly sensative to it. Just make sure you keep the level at 0.50. I had great sucess with this product. Saved most of my fish from a velvet outbreak.
The only test kit (that I found) that works well with it is seachems multitest kit. Seachem also makes the cupramine.
Good luck
Old 04-14-2004, 11:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, I am doing daily water changes and my fish are doing fine now. They did seem to be more stressful at first and of course the butterfly had died which I don't think is due to ich. I am just not sure whether the butterfly is more sensitive or not.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

would water changes help get rid of ich?

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com