Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2004, 12:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ich Revisited ?

Hi Folks,
Holmes - my Kole Tang - has been in the QT since I got him about 6 weeks ago. Shortly after bringing him home he developed Ich and I have been treating with hypo since then. About 4 weeks ago the Ich disappeared completely and not long after that I got him to eat. He has been getting better and better as time goes on. Recently however I noticed a little white spot on one of his fins - see photo below. This happened shortly after I was away for a few days and due to evaporation the tank SG rose to 1.010 for perhaps a couple of days. Could that have been enough to allow the Ich to re-infect ? What do you think the spot in the photo is ? Other than the spot he is looking and behaving great !

Thanks as always ....
Brendan.

Old 03-20-2004, 01:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Maybe get the spg up to normal and add a cleaner shimp or Neon goby, this may help .

Old 03-20-2004, 02:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hmmm - not sure I want to risk raising the SG if he's still got Ich. Don't really know though so perhaps that's the right thing to do. I've got 2 cleaner shrimp in my main display. I could add him there if I felt he was safe enough at this point. Obviously could only do that after slowly raising the SG back to normal in the QT. Just wanna be real careful after such a battle to get him back to health in the first place !

Any other thoughts out there ? Do you think the spot in the pic is Ich or could it be something else ?
10 Danios (mixed Zebra and Gold)
BrendanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just went through a battle with a parasite , so I understand your dilemma. Looks like it could be ich, could also be debris. If it were me, since its just one spot I would just watch to see if any more develop. Or catch the fish and see if you can gently rub the spot off. If more develop I would then treat with medication like copper or formalin in the qt tank. I know a lot of people swear by hyposalinity, but I lost several fish wasting my time with it. For me, copper was the key to beating the parasite.
Good luck!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks quarryshark.
10 Danios (mixed Zebra and Gold)
BrendanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 11:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hypo works. Is a proven treatment. The problem people have with it is they don't adjust the SG/salinity to the correct amount and/or they don't leave the fish in hypo for a long enough time.

You really should use a refrac when trying to carry out hypo so you can get an accurate reading as possible. Hypo should be carried out around a salinity of around 12-14 ppt. Do not let evap take it higher than this...

It is possible that the salinity rose high enough in the QT tank that the ich were able to continue to break out of their cysts.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually I ordered and used a refractometer. Kept the salinity at .010 for 14 days in a bare bottom qt tank, lost 3 fish and still had spots. I put in cupramine and the spots were gone within 3 day and that was the end of them. I don't know, just my experience.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Kept the salinity at .010
Thats SG not salinity...

There is no telling why your experience was so far away from the norm when dealing with hypo and ich. May never know...
Old 03-20-2004, 06:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok if you want to get picky, SG then.
Another thing to consider, like with any ailment, IE: viruses, bacteria or protozoa. there are different levels of infestation and there are different organisms in each family that may or may not respond well to various treatments. If hypo dosn't work in a particular case, why mess around and lose fish when there are faster and proven ways to eradicate? Sure the conservative approach is nice, but it doesn't always work.
Yes I know that Tangs are sensitive to copper treatment, but Cupramine is well tolerated and you can also go for a lesser time period.
BTW, I did the hypo treatment by the book, and it simply didn't work in this case. I'm not the only one that has reported this.
Peace
Old 03-21-2004, 04:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

There are a couple of common reasons for hyposalinity not to work for ich. It mostly boils down to not administering hypo correctly. People often use an inaccurate (such as plastic swing arm type) hydrometer and get a false reading. A large glass lab grade hydrometer that is calibrated for reef temperatures or a refractometer is required. People often confuse Specific Gravity (which is influenced by water temp) with salinity. If the salinity rises about a therapuetic level at any time during the treatment period then treatment can fail. The salinity (NOT SG) must remain below 16ppt at all times during treatment. Sometimes people do not treat for the minimum of three weeks. Sometimes people fail to treat ALL exposed fish not just the ones with obvious white spots. Sometimes the infected display tank is not left without any fish for a minimum of 30 days. Any fish left in the display tank will allow the parasite a host even if you don't see spots. It is very important that the pH is checked DAILY during hyposalinity. The pH tends to fall in diluted saltwater and this can kill the fish. When hyposalinity does not work for saltwater ich then the problem is rarely with the type of treatment. The problem is usually that the treatment was not administered correctly. Sometimes it is a matter of misdiagnosis. Some people think all white spots are caused by ich when in reality ich is not the only thing that can look like white spots.
Terry B

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com