Ich Topics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like this thread too, LOL.

I know this is silly, but should i acclimate the bacteria? Probably not, right?

Ich related question. So I just bought a tank off a guy with everything. We found s clownfish in the overflow as we broke it down. He hadn't seen it in over 6 weeks and just assumed it was dead. When I got him home I noticed some white fuzz on his nose. I did not plan for needing a quarantine, so I threw together a ten gallon that I previously had used as a freshwater tank. You can see the setup below. Since the hob filter on the back was new, I knew that I had nothing to deal with nitrogen waste. I quickly decided to through a piece of LR from the DT in there. I have not treated the fish with copper or anything yet. I have just been observing him. The fuzz went away, but I know ich can do this, so I want to keep him quarantined. I kinda want to just run a copper treatment just to be safe, but I know that if I do that with the LR that I can never return that to my DT which has corals and inverts.

So, after all that, here is my question. Can ich be moved on LR? If I have LR in a tank with suspected ich and I move it to my display, will I be putting all those fish at risk? If so, what do I do with this LR to get it back in shape for the display?

If there is ich in that tank do not put the rock back in the display tank or you could possible infect it.

You should be able to remove the copper with carbon after your done with the treatment. the copper should eventually leech out of the rock and be removed.

What if I remove it to a bucket with a power head for about a month. That should be long enough to kill off any parasites, eh? I am hesitant about treating the rock with any copper.

yes you can do that without fish the ich will have no host so it will die off i'd leave it a little longer though if you don't need to put it back for some reason.

Removed individual cases to their own thread. This thread for general discussion of the ich parasite and treatment.

So, I'm starting to think that maybe it was not ich. My quarantined clownfish has been isolated for about 3 weeks. The powdery fuzz (looked like bread mold to me which is another reason I suspect it was not ich) that he had on his nose cleared up a couple days after he was isolated without any chemical intervention. I have seen no return of symptoms anywhere on his body, and his behavior has been normal (very actively swimming, no rubbing or darting, accepting food at every feeding). I am wondering how much longer I should keep him in quarantine before I return him to the DT. The guy that I bought the tank off of said that he has not added any new organisms or rock to the tank in quite some time, and that he has never had any issues with ich before. I kinda feel that the clown may have been immunocompramized after having survived in the overflow for 6 weeks and that may have made him susceptible to some sort of parasite. After building his strength a little, I think he fought it off.

Is this newbie being naive?

soo i have a question
how do i get rid of ich?
all of my fish died of it and today i saw one of my crabs dead out of its shell and
will the live rock, turbo snails, anemone or electric blue crabs host the ich?

at this point since you have no fish in your tank just leave it fishless for 6 to 8 weeks and the ich will die without a host. the crabs and snails are not effected by ich and are not a host for ich.

raza said:
soo i have a question
how do i get rid of ich?
all of my fish died of it and today i saw one of my crabs dead out of its shell and
will the live rock, turbo snails, anemone or electric blue crabs host the ich?

There is a lot of info out there already. I just read this one:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

As far as I know, marine ich is only a fish disease. None of those things listed will die of ich. Those things can have ich on them if they were kept in a tank that had ich, but the parasite itself dies in about a month without a fish host. Your crab either molted and that is the shell you see, or it died of something else. I think I read your other string, and it seems that you had a lot of issues going on with your tank. Let it sit fallow without fish for 6 weeks or so and then it will be safe to add a new fish. Take this time to set up a quarantine tank.

bioteacher said:
So, I'm starting to think that maybe it was not ich. My quarantined clownfish has been isolated for about 3 weeks. The powdery fuzz (looked like bread mold to me which is another reason I suspect it was not ich) that he had on his nose cleared up a couple days after he was isolated without any chemical intervention. I have seen no return of symptoms anywhere on his body, and his behavior has been normal (very actively swimming, no rubbing or darting, accepting food at every feeding). I am wondering how much longer I should keep him in quarantine before I return him to the DT. The guy that I bought the tank off of said that he has not added any new organisms or rock to the tank in quite some time, and that he has never had any issues with ich before. I kinda feel that the clown may have been immunocompramized after having survived in the overflow for 6 weeks and that may have made him susceptible to some sort of parasite. After building his strength a little, I think he fought it off.

Is this newbie being naive?

Any thoughts on this? It has now been 4 weeks symptom free in quarantine. I think I'm going to move him soon. The QT might be doing more harm than good. It is still cycling so I have had a little issue wih ammonia and have been doing lots of large water changes.

Back
Top Bottom