Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-22-2003, 09:08 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Originally Posted by cj10488
Well I talked to Al from Chem-Marins and he stated that It is reef Safe however he would not gaurntee any of theinhabitants in my tank.. Everything seems to be doing good today still after the third dose.. However I Did find one of My Sally Lightfoots dead.. I am beginning to Kinda Regret trying this product in the Display Tank... Its possible that the sally lightfoot died from other causes but I would seem to doubt that..

I am really hesitant that a company won't stand behind their product..

I hate to be "the-glass-is-half-empty", but you need to get ready - things are probably going to get worse. Most of my corals didn't die until about 2 weeks after my last dosing.

Fingers Crossed for ya!! Good Luck!

toddwess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 01:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd suspect the sally died of other causes. I've seen those critters survive enough copper to kill a lobster.

I've had lousy luck with so called 'reef' safe medications. Watch the Xenia real close since in my experience they are among the most sensitive marine inhabitants to medications along with clams. If they start to close for no reason, do a water change immediatley and use high grade AC to clean your tank.

wseaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 02:29 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Would it be possible for you to provide a full list of your tank inhabitants? If this will be included in your review, that's cool - don't want to make you type the same thing twice.

I am really hesitant that a company won't stand behind their product.
I'm with you there - how can you state that your product is "reef safe", but not guarantee that it is? Is it or isn't it?

Also - how has your pH reacted so far? Any major fluctuations? Just a thought - mobile inverts would be the most sensitive to fluxes in pH - which could have possibly led to the demise of your S.L. crab.
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 03:19 PM   #14
Well so far the only thing that has died was the one S.L Crab.. Everything else has been doing great.. The Xenia seems to be the least one bothered by the meds... I have not noticed anything else happening.. The spots that I believed to be Ich on my Percula are now gone and have been for a day now.. I was/Am still leary about using meds in the Display tank and dont believe I would do it again... So far this medications has been Pretty "Reef SAfe"... No losses other then the one mentioned and well the Elegance coral is about gone but it was before the meds... I will say that there is only 2 more days left for the dosing of the Meds and so far so good..

As with the pH I went to test and for some reason the reagent for the pH was Empty... The Meds state that it will cause a pH drop almost Immediatly so I have been trying to compensate "Buffer" the best that I could without the Reagent as My replacement was supposed to be here days ago... Been Playing It safe 1 tsp washing-soda-baking soda mix in a cup of ro/di.. (6parts BS 1part WS is the Mix)
I was a bit upset that the reagent was gone due to the fact that this is an almost new seachem kit.. Seachem thinks that the kit might have been used prior... Hopefully the reagent should be here today so I will let you know how much it fluctuates then.. I would go out and but a kit but the only ones sold is the Red Sea kits and they are extremely unaccurate off by .2 last time I compared with seachems..
55gal tank w/ 10gal sump Stated dosing meds for 55gal tank but dropped dose to 45gals.. Everything seems to be better... this is where I wish I knew exactly how much water was in the tank after displacement..

For Inhabitants I have
3 S.L. Crabs
20+ Zebra hermits
14+ Red Tipped Hermits
14+ Blue Legged Hermits
3+ Pistol Shrimp (hitchhikers)
Multiple Nassarius Snail HitchHikers
4+ Astreas (hitchhikers)
Mult. Misc Unknown Seasquirts- sponges - barnicles- rock dwelling mullusks - like 100+
10+ unknown hitchhiker crabs
50+ feather dusters (hitchhikers)
2 Wild caught True Percula clowns
1 TR False percula clowns
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 Toadstool Leather Coral
1 Bubble Coral
1 Purple M. Digitada
4 Jakarta Xenia "doubled in size since dosing???"
1 Purple Plate Coral
Along with all the pods and such living in Sand Bed...

Off to dose one of the last 4 doses "THANK GOD!!!"
Old 10-23-2003, 05:34 PM   #15
BTW I forgot that I also have a colony Polyp rock in the tank as well for Inhabitants..

Old 10-27-2003, 07:38 PM   #16
Ok as promised I have written my review.. It can be found in the reviews section under Chemicals.. I have as Well posted the link directly to the Review..

Thanks Again,
Old 10-27-2003, 11:35 PM   #17
Thanks for the review James.... Kudo's

I am glad everything worked out. Please keep us up to date if there are any changes or re-occurances in the coming weeks. "touch wood" it's all smooth sailing though...

My own curiosity has me wondering if it has any negative effects on cukes or stars?? Anyone else use the product with these animals in tow?

Old 10-27-2003, 11:41 PM   #18
Will Do... BTW I do have some serpant stars in the tank but as we all know they hide pretty good.. If I do happen to see any of them I will let you know as well... As for using it with cukes that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen... thats just my opinion though..

Old 10-28-2003, 01:01 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via MSN to Michel
Super happy for you James ... So I guess we dont have to chip in ans send you frag's since all is ok, right ?
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 01:06 AM   #20
go ahead and send me a frag or 2 for the lost hammer corals I have been going thru lol

eat, ich, reef, reef tank, tan, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com