Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
cj10488

Ich Treatment In Reef Tank

I was looking and saw this online

" Probiotic Marine Formula "

This disease preventative produces billions of "protector" bacteria that stop the activity of pathogens so they don't come back in 2nd or 3rd stages, killing the fish. Effective against Ich, closed fins, velvet, body fungus, hole in the head, and vibrio without chemicals or pesticides. Completely safe for all fish, corals and aquatic plants. Add 2 teaspoons per 20 gallons first dose, then 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons every 2 weeks. 16 oz. treats 100 gallons for 33 weeks.

I was wondering If anyone has tried this... or

Kent RxP Marine

Uses natural plant extracts and pepper to rid saltwater parasites without copper or carcinogenic dyes! Treats multiple stages, leaves no residual toxic metal, and safe with most invertebrates. Use 2 teaspoons per 25 gallons every other day. 16 oz treats 100 gallons for one full treatment.

I feel that I want to try get gutsy and try the first one... the Probiotic Marine Formula any suggestions on this..

TIA,
James
Old 10-20-2003, 06:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
the best thing for you to do is to remove the fish and put them i n a QT tank and leave main tank fallow for about 4 weeks. That is the only way you are going to get rid of it and make sure you don't harm your inverts

Old 10-20-2003, 06:13 PM   #3
cj10488

AS I do know that and that has been the word for ages now.. However alot of attention has been put forth to the REEF tank environment to effectivly treat Ich as well as other diseases in Reef Tanks... This Is why I bring up the Subject.. A company's product such as "Probiotic Marine Formula" or even "Chem-Marin Stop Parasites" states that there product is highly effective and Safe for all reef species as well... I am very aware of the procdeures of qt'ing all fish but was also wondering about the products above.. I have not stated that I even Have Ich in my tank.. I was simply asking if anyone has used the above products to treat a reef tank for Ich..

TIA,
James
Old 10-20-2003, 11:17 PM   #4
steve-s

You're alot braver than most.. 8O

As far as the RP-x, I would recommend against it. Any med that requires the removal of any animal for any reason is not a good choice. If you get a chance to see a bottle, you will be very suprised to find out how many animal types cannot be kept in the tank with it's treatment.

The Probiotic Marine Formula is still what you might call an "unkown" as there seems to be little literature about it. From what I have heard it is much better as a preventative than an actual cure. If you do use it as an actual treatment on an infected fish, please post the results or submit a >>review<< of the product.

I wish you all the success but you already know what I would otherwise suggest...

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-20-2003, 11:35 PM   #5
cj10488

I have decided to try Chem-Marin Stop Parasite in my reef tank.. I think that a clown might have Ich but its extremely hard to tell as it is in the alreadt white band.. After reading the reviews where the Founder of the product gaurenteed the saftey of the reef inhabitants I decided to "TRY" and carefully monitor the saftey of all the inhabitants... Its a 5 day treatment and from the reviews it works Great.. check http://www.planet-reef.com/stop1.htm I will say that I am TRUSTING this companys statement on its product "100% Reef Safe" and the only bad side effect is is causes pH to drop but if you buffer the tank that does no harm either..

Day-1 Treatment 1
Dosed the tank as directed.. Reactions to adding the dosage Imediately caused the Elegance Coral and Bubble coral to Close up.. 2 hours later the bubble coral Is back open and looking Healthy again.. Elegance was not doing so well before but opened up as it has been for the last few days as normal... Xenia stayed open pulsing as normal... No adverse reactions noted on any of the other Visible Inverts in the tank as well..

I will personally write a Review about this product On Monday Oct. 27th 2003 for the reivews section as to an exact day by day dose by dose expirence.. I will as well post daily updates as to the progress in this thread as well...

James
Old 10-21-2003, 11:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
I would NEVER again treat the display tank. I've tried medicines that were "reef safe" in my reef system, and it cured the disease, but killed ALL coral and really 'shook-up' my inverts. Never Again!!!!

Just my 2 cents - (I'm still bitter about it so I'm kinda strongly-opionated about it)

Let us know what you do and how it turn out, k?

Todd
Old 10-21-2003, 11:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Kudos to James for bravery. I agree that advancements have been made and there is always room for improvment, but if the newer "reef safe" products work someone has to try. I keep my fingers crossed for you. In the event that it works well it can only help reefers take batter care of thier wonderful systems.

Good luck and I anxiously await the report.

Ronnie
Old 10-21-2003, 12:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Michel
And if not we will all chip in and send you new frag's to start over since you tested for us right guys ???
Old 10-21-2003, 02:48 PM   #9
cj10488

I actually was contacted By the owner Of Chem-Marin as to an email sent to them... The owner wants me to Contact him today after 2pm EST I will be contacting him.. As for dosing the tank everything has been going great.. All corals and inverts are doing well... I have dosed the tank twice now with no adverse reactions yet.. More to come...
Quote:

And if not we will all chip in and send you new frag's to start over since you tested for us right guys
This sounds like an AWESOME idea either way

James
Old 10-21-2003, 04:16 PM   #10
cj10488

Well I talked to Al from Chem-Marins and he stated that It is reef Safe however he would not gaurntee any of theinhabitants in my tank.. Everything seems to be doing good today still after the third dose.. However I Did find one of My Sally Lightfoots dead.. I am beginning to Kinda Regret trying this product in the Display Tank... Its possible that the sally lightfoot died from other causes but I would seem to doubt that..

I am really hesitant that a company won't stand behind their product..

James

Tags
eat, ich, reef, reef tank, tan, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com