Ich Treatment In Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

I was looking and saw this online

" Probiotic Marine Formula "

This disease preventative produces billions of "protector" bacteria that stop the activity of pathogens so they don't come back in 2nd or 3rd stages, killing the fish. Effective against Ich, closed fins, velvet, body fungus, hole in the head, and vibrio without chemicals or pesticides. Completely safe for all fish, corals and aquatic plants. Add 2 teaspoons per 20 gallons first dose, then 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons every 2 weeks. 16 oz. treats 100 gallons for 33 weeks.

I was wondering If anyone has tried this... or

Kent Rx•P Marine

Uses natural plant extracts and pepper to rid saltwater parasites without copper or carcinogenic dyes! Treats multiple stages, leaves no residual toxic metal, and safe with most invertebrates. Use 2 teaspoons per 25 gallons every other day. 16 oz treats 100 gallons for one full treatment.

I feel that I want to try get gutsy and try the first one... the Probiotic Marine Formula any suggestions on this..

TIA,
James

the best thing for you to do is to remove the fish and put them i n a QT tank and leave main tank fallow for about 4 weeks. That is the only way you are going to get rid of it and make sure you don't harm your inverts

AS I do know that and that has been the word for ages now.. However alot of attention has been put forth to the REEF tank environment to effectivly treat Ich as well as other diseases in Reef Tanks... This Is why I bring up the Subject.. A company's product such as "Probiotic Marine Formula" or even "Chem-Marin Stop Parasites" states that there product is highly effective and Safe for all reef species as well... I am very aware of the procdeures of qt'ing all fish but was also wondering about the products above.. I have not stated that I even Have Ich in my tank.. I was simply asking if anyone has used the above products to treat a reef tank for Ich..

TIA,
James

You're alot braver than most.. 8O

As far as the RP-x, I would recommend against it. Any med that requires the removal of any animal for any reason is not a good choice. If you get a chance to see a bottle, you will be very suprised to find out how many animal types cannot be kept in the tank with it's treatment.

The Probiotic Marine Formula is still what you might call an "unkown" as there seems to be little literature about it. From what I have heard it is much better as a preventative than an actual cure. If you do use it as an actual treatment on an infected fish, please post the results or submit a >>review<< of the product.

I wish you all the success but you already know what I would otherwise suggest... :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I have decided to try Chem-Marin Stop Parasite in my reef tank.. I think that a clown might have Ich but its extremely hard to tell as it is in the alreadt white band.. After reading the reviews where the Founder of the product gaurenteed the saftey of the reef inhabitants I decided to "TRY" and carefully monitor the saftey of all the inhabitants... Its a 5 day treatment and from the reviews it works Great.. check http://www.planet-reef.com/stop1.htm I will say that I am TRUSTING this companys statement on its product "100% Reef Safe" and the only bad side effect is is causes pH to drop but if you buffer the tank that does no harm either..

Day-1 Treatment 1
Dosed the tank as directed.. Reactions to adding the dosage Imediately caused the Elegance Coral and Bubble coral to Close up.. 2 hours later the bubble coral Is back open and looking Healthy again.. Elegance was not doing so well before but opened up as it has been for the last few days as normal... Xenia stayed open pulsing as normal... No adverse reactions noted on any of the other Visible Inverts in the tank as well..

I will personally write a Review about this product On Monday Oct. 27th 2003 for the reivews section as to an exact day by day dose by dose expirence.. I will as well post daily updates as to the progress in this thread as well...

James

I would NEVER again treat the display tank. I've tried medicines that were "reef safe" in my reef system, and it cured the disease, but killed ALL coral and really 'shook-up' my inverts. Never Again!!!!

Just my 2 cents - (I'm still bitter about it so I'm kinda strongly-opionated about it) :)

Let us know what you do and how it turn out, k?

Todd

Kudos to James for bravery. I agree that advancements have been made and there is always room for improvment, but if the newer "reef safe" products work someone has to try. I keep my fingers crossed for you. In the event that it works well it can only help reefers take batter care of thier wonderful systems.

Good luck and I anxiously await the report.

Ronnie

I actually was contacted By the owner Of Chem-Marin as to an email sent to them... The owner wants me to Contact him today after 2pm EST I will be contacting him.. As for dosing the tank everything has been going great.. All corals and inverts are doing well... I have dosed the tank twice now with no adverse reactions yet.. More to come...
And if not we will all chip in and send you new frag's to start over since you tested for us right guys

This sounds like an AWESOME idea either way ;)

James

Well I talked to Al from Chem-Marins and he stated that It is reef Safe however he would not gaurntee any of theinhabitants in my tank.. Everything seems to be doing good today still after the third dose.. However I Did find one of My Sally Lightfoots dead.. I am beginning to Kinda Regret trying this product in the Display Tank... Its possible that the sally lightfoot died from other causes but I would seem to doubt that..

I am really hesitant that a company won't stand behind their product..

James

cj10488 said:
Well I talked to Al from Chem-Marins and he stated that It is reef Safe however he would not gaurntee any of theinhabitants in my tank.. Everything seems to be doing good today still after the third dose.. However I Did find one of My Sally Lightfoots dead.. I am beginning to Kinda Regret trying this product in the Display Tank... Its possible that the sally lightfoot died from other causes but I would seem to doubt that..

I am really hesitant that a company won't stand behind their product..

James

I hate to be "the-glass-is-half-empty", but you need to get ready - things are probably going to get worse. Most of my corals didn't die until about 2 weeks after my last dosing.

Fingers Crossed for ya!! Good Luck!

Todd

I'd suspect the sally died of other causes. I've seen those critters survive enough copper to kill a lobster.

I've had lousy luck with so called 'reef' safe medications. Watch the Xenia real close since in my experience they are among the most sensitive marine inhabitants to medications along with clams. If they start to close for no reason, do a water change immediatley and use high grade AC to clean your tank.

James,

Would it be possible for you to provide a full list of your tank inhabitants? If this will be included in your review, that's cool - don't want to make you type the same thing twice.

I am really hesitant that a company won't stand behind their product.

I'm with you there - how can you state that your product is "reef safe", but not guarantee that it is? Is it or isn't it?

Also - how has your pH reacted so far? Any major fluctuations? Just a thought - mobile inverts would be the most sensitive to fluxes in pH - which could have possibly led to the demise of your S.L. crab.

Well so far the only thing that has died was the one S.L Crab.. Everything else has been doing great.. The Xenia seems to be the least one bothered by the meds... I have not noticed anything else happening.. The spots that I believed to be Ich on my Percula are now gone and have been for a day now.. I was/Am still leary about using meds in the Display tank and dont believe I would do it again... So far this medications has been Pretty "Reef SAfe"... No losses other then the one mentioned and well the Elegance coral is about gone but it was before the meds... I will say that there is only 2 more days left for the dosing of the Meds and so far so good..

As with the pH I went to test and for some reason the reagent for the pH was Empty... The Meds state that it will cause a pH drop almost Immediatly so I have been trying to compensate "Buffer" the best that I could without the Reagent as My replacement was supposed to be here days ago... Been Playing It safe 1 tsp washing-soda-baking soda mix in a cup of ro/di.. (6parts BS 1part WS is the Mix)
I was a bit upset that the reagent was gone due to the fact that this is an almost new seachem kit.. Seachem thinks that the kit might have been used prior... Hopefully the reagent should be here today so I will let you know how much it fluctuates then.. I would go out and but a kit but the only ones sold is the Red Sea kits and they are extremely unaccurate off by .2 last time I compared with seachems..
55gal tank w/ 10gal sump Stated dosing meds for 55gal tank but dropped dose to 45gals.. Everything seems to be better... this is where I wish I knew exactly how much water was in the tank after displacement..

For Inhabitants I have
3 S.L. Crabs
20+ Zebra hermits
14+ Red Tipped Hermits
14+ Blue Legged Hermits
3+ Pistol Shrimp (hitchhikers)
Multiple Nassarius Snail HitchHikers
4+ Astreas (hitchhikers)
Mult. Misc Unknown Seasquirts- sponges - barnicles- rock dwelling mullusks - like 100+
10+ unknown hitchhiker crabs
50+ feather dusters (hitchhikers)
2 Wild caught True Percula clowns
1 TR False percula clowns
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 Toadstool Leather Coral
1 Bubble Coral
1 Purple M. Digitada
4 Jakarta Xenia "doubled in size since dosing???"
1 Purple Plate Coral
Along with all the pods and such living in Sand Bed...

HTH,
James

Off to dose one of the last 4 doses "THANK GOD!!!"

BTW I forgot that I also have a colony Polyp rock in the tank as well for Inhabitants..

James

Thanks for the review James.... Kudo's

I am glad everything worked out. Please keep us up to date if there are any changes or re-occurances in the coming weeks. "touch wood" it's all smooth sailing though...

My own curiosity has me wondering if it has any negative effects on cukes or stars?? Anyone else use the product with these animals in tow?

Cheers
Steve

Will Do... BTW I do have some serpant stars in the tank but as we all know they hide pretty good.. If I do happen to see any of them I will let you know as well... As for using it with cukes that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen... thats just my opinion though..

James

go ahead and send me a frag or 2 for the lost hammer corals I have been going thru lol

James

Back
Top Bottom