Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2004, 03:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well - I've been pursuing the hypo treatment and I should have the QT down to 1.009 by tomorrow morning. I wonder if it's worthwhile also continuing with the Greenex at the same time ? If I were to do so the tank would be due for another dose this evening.

One quick question on the hypo treatment : I noticed last night that my PH had dropped below 8.0 so I added the presribed amount of Kent Marine PH buffer and will test again tonight. My question :

Should I be adding the buffer to the freshwater I'm adding to bring down the salinity or should I just monitor the PH in the tank and add buffer as necessary there ?

My other concern at the moment is the Tang is not eating. I've been trying Formula 2 flakes and just yesterday I tried soaking them in SeaChem's Garlic Guard but still no luck. I was gonna try some nori this evening - any other suggestions ?

thanks,
Brendan.

10 Danios (mixed Zebra and Gold)
BrendanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I wonder if it's worthwhile also continuing with the Greenex at the same time
I actually wouldn't use two treatments at the same time. Hypo will do the job on its own.

Quote:
Should I be adding the buffer to the freshwater I'm adding to bring down the salinity or should I just monitor the PH in the tank and add buffer as necessary there ?
Adding it to the tank will be fine. Just make sure you add it in a high flow area. Don't add too much either as you don't want to overshoot the pH.

Old 02-12-2004, 05:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Biggen.

Now if I can just get the little guy to eat .....
Old 02-12-2004, 05:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Brendan,

Another suggestion that can be used in conjunction with the above listed treatment. If you've got a diatom hanging arround, I would recommend it running it on your tank as well - It will remove all free floating Ich parasites as they are bigger than the pores in the diatomaceous earth. This will also speed recovery as the more resilient parasites may dodge the medication for a short while but will get trapped by the diatom.

Also - watch very careful with Kent Super buffer - this stuff will easily over shoot your PH to very high levels.

Also - do you have an oversized UV handy and a small pump. If you circulate water through a large UV at a slow rate it will also greatly reduce the cycling time of the ICH.

Tom
Old 02-12-2004, 07:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Tom but unfortunately I don't either of those pieces of equipment. Also thanks for the warning about the buffer - I hope the dose I gave last night didn't overshoot but I doubt it - I stuck rigidly to the directions on the package (perhaps foolishly trusting here ?? )
Old 02-12-2004, 08:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

FYI you can use washing soda (sodium carbonate) to raise the pH and buffer the water at the same time if needed. This site will give you instructions upon how much to use if you desire to do this:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm
Old 02-16-2004, 11:28 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
can you use copper in a QT tank and then after they are treated put them back into a reef without issues? (after re acclimating them correctly?
Old 02-16-2004, 09:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
can you use copper in a QT tank and then after they are treated put them back into a reef without issues? (after re acclimating them correctly?
Are you talking about treating fish with copper? If so, yes, they can be treated with copper meds and then be put back into the display tank.

Tags
eat, ich, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com