Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2004, 07:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ich treatment questions

Hi All,
My newly-acquired Kole Tang has come out with a lot of spots and rapid breathing so I strongly suspect it is ich (thank God for quarantine tanks !!! ). Last night when I noticed the problem I got some advice from my LFS which may or may not be the best. The result was I treated the QT with Greenex. Since then I have been reading about Hyposalininity and Copper treatments. A lot of people here favour hypo as the sole course of treatment if my understanding of other topics is correct, yet I have also been reading some advice from Bob Fenner in which he recommends Copper treatment in tandem with a lowered salinity ( maybe 1.016 ). So what do you guys recommend I do ? FYI - the QT is pretty bare with just some inert deco in there such as a fake plant and an ornament to provide hiding places. I'm running some live sand in a filter bag in the AquaClear Mini filter for bio.

So here are some specific questions :

1. Hypo or Copper ? (or both ??)
2. If Copper should I strip the greenex meds with carbon ? (I have an activated carbon cartridge that came with the AquaClear mini filter - how long would it take to strip all the greenex ?
3. Also if Copper, I know that will kill the bacteria in the live sand so I have read that I would need to frequently do water changes to control the ammonia/nitrite buildup. How much and how often would I need to change ?
4. How long do I treat (again I've seen many differening opinions on this).

Thanks a lot for your help folks ! Let's hope the Tang makes it ....

Brendan.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:10 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
1. Hypo or Copper ? (or both ??)
Hypo, unless the kole is pretty far gone, it is less stressful than copper treatments an won't effect your biological filter.

Quote:
4. How long do I treat (again I've seen many differening opinions on this).
Hyposalinity, that link should have everything you need to know about hyposalinity Your looking at a minimum of 3 weeks with either treatment, 4 is better.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Kevin - as regards determing how far gone the Tang is, here is his current behaviour (as of last night) : He has quite a lot of spots and is breathing fast. I observed him in the LFS the day I took him and saw no abnormal behaviour. He was swimming around and feeding off the rock in the tank. That was 2 days ago. Now he is not feeding (I have tried Formula 2 flakes ) and does not explore much around the tank. Instead he spends most of his time in his hiding spot at the bottom of the tank.

What do you think ?
10 Danios (mixed Zebra and Gold)
BrendanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:45 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

It is very difficult to assess the fish without seeng it. If you are concerned that it is going downhill fast, you might start the copper treatment, it tends to work a little faster than hypo, although that might be a myth.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fair enough - thanks again. I'll give the hypo a shot and monitor closely. Kudos !!
Old 02-10-2004, 09:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry - one more question. When lowering the SG it is possible that the PH will drop right ? Or will the live sand in the filter act as a buffer ? From the Hypo article :

"If the pH starts to drop, water should be changed or buffer very carefully added to the system. If the fish are sick, too rapid changes in pH will not be beneficial. "

I assume the water change plan will be after the SG of 1.010 is reached and then I mix new SW at 1.010 ? What would you recommend as a buffer that can be easily added to the tank to bring the PH back up ?

thanks ......
Brendan (The world's newest QT fan !! )
Old 02-10-2004, 09:50 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I assume the water change plan will be after the SG of 1.010 is reached and then I mix new SW at 1.010 ?
Yes and it should be 1.009. 12ppt and a refractometer is recommended

As for the buffer, I would use something like reef builder by seachem or kents superbuffer dkh or a homemade mix of baking soda and washing soda. There are instructions for it around here somewhere, but it's 6 parts arm and hammer baking soda to 1 part arm and hammer washing soda mixed dry.

Old 02-10-2004, 09:55 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Had to look up the exact directions.

Mix # 1

Ingredients:

Baking soda

Equipment:

oven
baking sheet
aluminum foil

Directions:

Preheat oven for 400F. Cover baking sheet with aluminum foil. Cover foil with baking soda (don't use all of it), spread the baking soda around, since it must have contact with the air. Bake at 400F for 1 hour, or until lumpy and awful tasting (a lot of my other recipes turn out this way). Mix 1 part of baked baking soda with 5 parts regular baking soda (some people use 6 parts regular baking soda). Store in a dry container.

Be sure clumps are broken and mixture is well mixed before adding this to the aquarium, be sure everything dissolves (baking soda dissolves much easier than baked backing soda). Also, be sure to test pH and Alk

Mix #2

6 parts Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and 1 part Arm & Hammer Washing soda. Mix well and add one table spoon of the mix to RO, RO/DI or Distilled water per 25 gal of tank water to raise DKH 1.0. Again always check pH and Alk

Old 02-10-2004, 11:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Great - thanks !

The good news is for what it's worth the Greenex may have helped some. There are less spots on the Tang now and he's swimming around a little more. I'm still going for the hypo approach though of course.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just use the greenex as prescibed on the container and your problem will go away in a few days without harming any inverts. Raise your temp up to 82 f.

Tags
eat, ich, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com