Ich treatment via 50% water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wael El-Dasher

Aquarium Advice Activist
I read the article by Steven Pro Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

One of the methods that appeals to me is the treatment option 5, where by you place all the fish in QT and perform 50% WC everyday for 2 weeks, then keep them in the QT for 1 month to observe.

What I especially like about this treatment vs hypo is the smaller risks of Ph & salinity swings.

Anyone successfully use this method?

cheers

Wael

I use Hypo to be sure. IMO hypo is much easier and risk free, while insuring eradication. The daily water change doesn't insure eradication IMO.

"then everyday for two weeks the tank is completely cleaned and a 50% water change is performed. "...
"This method is best used as a preventative when a fish is first acquired. It is also useful for mild infestations or when other more aggressive treatments cannot be used due to species sensitivity. "

Another vote for hypo. I've read that article you linked to before, and the part that always bothered me about that option was the "completely clean the tank" part. Kind of leaves the door open to screwing things up, in my opinion.

Easiest way I found to maintain pH with hypo is just do a 10% water change every other day or so. You're not spending a lot of money to do it because your salt levels are so low, and if it's a small quarantine tank it hardly takes any time. I've used buffer a bit, but in the end I just opted for the water changes.

It's really hard to actually "control" pH anyway - even in a normal tank. For the most part, it is what it is.

Well I managed to capture 1/2 the fish in the DT. Today I gotta move all the corals and remove the LR to capture the rest. The timing is great because the LFS got a new shipment of corals and fish so I bought more fish yesterday that looked healthy but has traces of Ich as well. Figured perfect time to treat all the fish one time.

We got all the fish out, what a nightmare... It took me 14 hours to get the fish out, take all the LR out first, clean up the substrate, layout the LR again and place all the corals in their new places. At the end of it all I found another fish! I have never seem this fish before. It's impossible to catch it. It's 3/4" long and clear colored! I have no idea where it came from. It's so fast and fits thru the net! I caught it couple of times but it just swam thru the net! I'm gonna just leave it in the DT.

Back
Top Bottom