Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ich-x making ich worse.

So I had a ich outbreak in my display tank. I caught my purple tang in the middle of the night. Easier to do than catching him while the lights are on. I put him in my qt tank. The temp is at 82f and salinity at 1.026. Planning to raise it to 1.030. I treated him with ich-x meds but the ich has gotten allot worse over the last few days. Shouldn't it get better over time instead of getting allot worse? Don't get it.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Drip with freshwater? I have heard that that works

Old 03-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gal_nano View Post
Drip with freshwater? I have heard that that works

Yes but the stress it causes might make it worse
Old 03-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Does raising the salinity in a reef tank kill ich? I know it does in freshwater, but they're different organisms. I would not do a pure freshwater dip, that's seriously stressful and is risky. Dipping won't do any good unless it's no longer present in the water column anyway. If you can, you can place all the fish in a smaller quarantine tank, and treat them in there. Long enough to leave the original tank without a host so that the ich dies off.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

For saltwater ich your better off dropping the salinity to kill it. As far as I know raising it only works on freshwater fish.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Freshwater Ich is totally different. Raising temp does not help saltwater and could stress the fish even more. Hyposalinity should work, not raising salinity. If you go that route, drop salinity down to 1.010, but do not treat with copper at the same time. You want to use a refractometer to be accurate. The hydrometers that many people use are not accurate and this is something that needs some precision. When you bring the salinity back up, do it slowly. Too fast can kill your fish.

Copper or hypo are the only two scientifically proven methods of killing Ich. You want to leave you DT fallow for two months as well. That kills off the parasite in there so it is not just waiting for your fish once it is reintroduced back into your DT.

There are lots of articles online regarding this topic. Read up on it so that you have a clear understanding of what you are up against.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com