Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2004, 10:58 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
They are probably stressed due to the parasite. I would move them all quickly, especially the puffer and treat with a real med like copper or formalin. You can set up a QT with water from you main and get them out.....soon. Any med that claims to be reef safe is not going to kill the parasites.
If the puffer is lying on her side, it may be too late but I would try anyway. You better get the others out, it will get them as well.
How many and what kind of fish??

Old 03-15-2004, 05:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to wildviolent
Well fish, live rock, and a snail. It's too late though-about 30min after my post my poor puffer died. Now I'm worried that my other puffer and my trigger are going to die too, they are looking worse and worse. Why would this ich treatment hurt my fish like this? Im certain that I did not overdose them, and I've been told (too late) that Kick Ich is a worthless treatment anyway.

Old 03-15-2004, 05:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to wildviolent
I have 2 damsels, a royal gramma, a mandarin fish, a picasso trigger, and a bennett's puffer that have survived. Only my puffers and trigger were affected, and I working on a QT tank for them. I just hope it works.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will work, I just went through it. After losing 4 fish I treated with copper in a QT and everyone else is fine now. I used cupramine and you will need a good copper test kit to go with it. The only thing I am not sure about is using copper with a puffer. Not sure if they are hypersensitive to it.
Anyone??
Old 03-15-2004, 07:04 PM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryshark
The only thing I am not sure about is using copper with a puffer. Not sure if they are hypersensitive to it.
Anyone??
They will not tolerate ionic copper but better forms of chelated copper. If copper is absolutely needed, Seachem's Cupramine would be tolerated well if used correctly but be absolutely sure you get the proper test kit that reads for this type of copper.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-15-2004, 08:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, Cupramine is what I use, seems to be tolerated by most fish. Agree about the test kit. I tried several and had to order Seachem's kit online. It worked great.
Thanks!!!
Old 03-17-2004, 02:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
speaking of copper based meds, are percula/ocellaris clowns particularly suseptable to them? i was planning on using it in my QT tank, but ive witnessed them floundering in copper treated tanks in my LFS. any suggestoins?
Old 03-17-2004, 03:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I treated my 4 Perculas with Cupramine with no adverse effects. They are doing just fine.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I have a Porpupine, Stars and Stripes and a longhorn that survived Cupramine treatment just fine. No worries if used properly.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com