Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2004, 07:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

ICK!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a reef tank ( 110 gal.) and my fish had ick and died somewhere behind the rocks. I cant see him, but I know he's dead. What do i do now ... I mean should I get the fish out and move everything in my tank, or should I just leave it and wait and just do a large water cycle, also. should i put ick medicing in ( says safe for reefs ) to try and get out anything in the tank. someone help me please

Old 03-12-2004, 09:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Absolutely do not medicate the main tank. Get the fish out to a QT and medicate them in a bare bottom tank . You can use pvc elbows for them to hide. Leave the main tank void of fish (inverts are Ok, not hosts) for at least 4 weeks, 6 is better. The parasite will go through its live cycle and die off without hosts. If you don't remove the fish hosts, it will only get worse.
I went through a battle with velvet, effectively erradicating it with the use of Cupermine. I tried hyposalinity to no avail, copper worked great.

Old 03-14-2004, 01:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

when I stick my hand in the tank they go behind the rock and wont come out untill Im gone, is there anything else I can do
Old 03-14-2004, 02:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, drain part of the water into a new 40 gallon garbage can (or 2)and place the rock in it. They loose the north south option and will make it easier to catch them. I just went through this with my 210 gallon and had to do the same thing. But is it the "only" way to get rid of it.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ps: I live is Brunswick Hills, need any help, i'm pretty new at this but have been throught it recently.
Let me know.
Kurt
Old 03-14-2004, 10:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

First, it's ich, not ick. Also, how many other fish do you have in there? Definitely set up a quarintine but no substrate! Good luck getting rid of this pest!

Oh, Hablas espanol?
Hasta la vista senorita!
Old 03-15-2004, 01:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I think I had ick in my tank its been about 2 weeks. I had a false clownfish I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what to do with the tank now. The clownfish is dead. I do have a chocolate starfish I was wondering if that is a host of ich. How do i get rid of the disease and what can the starfish cause???
Old 03-15-2004, 10:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, inverts are not hosts your star is fine, only fish. Your best course of action would be to leave the tank fishless for at least 4 weeks, 6 would be better. The parasite cannot live without a fish host. You can also raise the tank temp to 82-84 degrees, this speeds up the life cycle of the parasites.
Good luck!!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to wildviolent
Help! I have a 55gal reef tank-(fish only) and I noticed that my fish were in the first stages of ich- scratching on rocks and a white spot or two, so I treated my tank with a product called "Kick-Ich" that claimed to be reef friendly, and safe to use in treating the whole tank. All of my fish seem stressed sinch i put the medicine in yesterday, but they are all ok- except for my valentini puffer. She is laying on her side at the bottom of the tank and looks like shes hiccuping (sorry-only way to describe) I really don't want her to die, but I don't know why this is happening or what I shoud do. Please help
Old 03-15-2004, 10:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, if you're tank is fish-only, then why does the product have to state reef friendly. I would advise you to set up a quarintine tank, especially for the puffer, with no substrate or sand, maybe just a hiding spot. Then you can medicate them singly.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com