Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ick

Well gave my fish to a buddy to quarantine have a 55 gallon reef and my fish store guy tells me after the first time I got ick ooooo yeah u wait two weeks throw sone stuff in there got a rusty angle and 2 yellowtail damsels and boom ick was still in there so I am gonna wait the full 6/8 weeks prob 8 I have just started in this hobby and man the only thing kicking my (moderator edit) is ich.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I used super ick on my dads tank by API gone I firs treatment and no return for a month now plus temp was raised to 85 and e already had small amount of salt in his tank but he is freshwater I'm not sure if its saltwater usable to but I would check it out

Old 10-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishlover3578 View Post
I used super ick on my dads tank by API gone I firs treatment and no return for a month now plus temp was raised to 85 and e already had small amount of salt in his tank but he is freshwater I'm not sure if its saltwater usable to but I would check it out
No, do not use this in a reef tank! Some medications will say reef safe and invert safe but they usually arent! Just get a qauarintine and use hyposalinity and raise of temp
Old 10-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok my dads tank is freshwater didnt know if good fr saltwater . It had no effect on his nerite snails ( I can't spell lol)
Old 10-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishlover3578 View Post
Ok my dads tank is freshwater didnt know if good fr saltwater . It had no effect on his nerite snails ( I can't spell lol)
Yes that is because saltwater inverts are much more sinsitve than freshwater.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #6

Yes freshwater and salt are two diffrent worlds I had freshwater community tanks and african cichlid tanks and I will tell you with ten yrs experience in frshwater and 4 months into salt I have learned a lot salt is so much more fun lol I have them in qt now so I will see what happens thanks guys
Old 10-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

That API product is freshwater only. Freshwater and saltwater Ich are different. Raising temperature does nothing for saltwater. You basically treat in QT with either copper or Hyposalinity and leave the DT fallow for 6-8 weeks. Anything else will not work. The Ich may " disappear", but that is simply part of the life cycle.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
That API product is freshwater only. Freshwater and saltwater Ich are different. Raising temperature does nothing for saltwater. You basically treat in QT with either copper or Hyposalinity and leave the DT fallow for 6-8 weeks. Anything else will not work. The Ich may " disappear", but that is simply part of the life cycle.
+1, all the reef safe ich remedies are pure snake oils, also lets be careful about posting freshwater remedies on a salt water forum, he could have wiped out his tank

Marine Ich - Myths and Facts
Old 10-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #9

Yeah good thing I did my research I looked into it online I do know enough to keep my head above water in the salt world and know that ick in both worlds fresh and salt are completely different organisms but thank you guys for the help
Old 10-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Read these

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com