Ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also... If this is velvet, can I leave the tanks fishless for 6-8 weeks and rid myself of the velvet and/or ick? Also, what can I do with my test tubes and misc equipment that is used for testing and water changes on the tanks? I'm thinking soak them in ro/di or tap water to kill off anything that has hitch hiked?

Re: sick fish

bill0298 said:
Could it be a combination of the two parasites?
That can sometimes although rarely be the case. Often times whe dealing with parasite problems you also end up treating for secondary infection. Thankfully when treating ich and velvet, both can be tackled with Cupramine but it cannot be combined with hyposalinity.

Curious on the pic posted above, was the fish removed from the water? It looks like salt flakes on the surface around it....

Cheers
Steve

bill0298 said:
Also... If this is velvet, can I leave the tanks fishless for 6-8 weeks and rid myself of the velvet and/or ick?
Yes.

Also, what can I do with my test tubes and misc equipment that is used for testing and water changes on the tanks? I'm thinking soak them in ro/di or tap water to kill off anything that has hitch hiked?
I wouldn't be concerned too much about that. Just be sure you air dry them completely and allow them to stay that way a few days. Rinsing/soaking with RO woudn't hurt though.

Cheers
Steve

Curious on the pic posted above, was the fish removed from the water? It looks like salt flakes on the surface around it....

Shell pieces... I had a crushed shell substrate before all this happened..... I just couldn't get all of it out without draining the tank.... :wink:

I wouldn't be concerned too much about that. Just be sure you air dry them completely and allow them to stay that way a few days. Rinsing/soaking with RO woudn't hurt though.

So, RO water the parasites on contact?

The puffer passed this morning, with the same symptoms as the other two fish with the exception of the black spots... :( Guess I won't be shopping at the LFS anymore... :evil: :evil: :evil:

bill0298 said:
The puffer passed this morning, with the same symptoms as the other two fish with the exception of the black spots... :( Guess I won't be shopping at the LFS anymore... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Very sorry for all the losses. I would be sure you leave your main tank fallow for at least 6 weeks if any of those fish were in there.

Simpley clean the QT and let in air dry a few days and re-set up with newly prepared SW. Don't use anything from the main as yet for seeding though. I would try to do it as soon as you are able so that when the main tanks fallow period is over, you have a properly cycled QT making this much easier. You should also be able to start your next fish off in the QT before tha mains fallow period is over. I would also be sure that you have access to proper meds if needed. Not suggesting you should buy them upfront but at least know where they can be aquired quickly. If nothing locally is available I would then be pro-active and get some Cupramine online along with the multi test copper and Seachem's ammonia alert badge.

Most antibiotics can easily be aquired locally and from most FW stores. I wouldn't bother with those.

So, RO water the parasites on contact?
If soaked in RO water yes, simpley rinsing will not work. As long as the test vials are allowed to air dry completely and remain so for a few days, it would be fine.

Cheers
Steve

Simpley clean the QT and let in air dry a few days and re-set up with newly prepared SW. Don't use anything from the main as yet for seeding though. I would try to do it as soon as you are able so that when the main tanks fallow period is over, you have a properly cycled QT making this much easier. You should also be able to start your next fish off in the QT before tha mains fallow period is over. I would also be sure that you have access to proper meds if needed. Not suggesting you should buy them upfront but at least know where they can be aquired quickly. If nothing locally is available I would then be pro-active and get some Cupramine online along with the multi test copper and Seachem's ammonia alert badge.

I have two qt tanks, my reef tank was never exposed to this disease... I will go ahead and leave one of the tanks up, just fishless and I will drain and dry the other... I already have Cupramine on hand, I just don't have Seachem's test kit to go along with it. Next time I order supplies, I do believe that I will order the right test kit.. So far I haven't had to use copper for anything, but it sounds like this probably would have been the time... Lesson learned.... Thanks for everyone's responses...... :)

if you do not have a qt tank and do not want to lose inverts to a copper treatment, i would suggest a garlic treatment. This will help boost the immunity of your fish and is also rumored to be bad for the parasite (can anyone confirm?). I take a clove of garlice and minci it, put it in a glass with some water and microwave. I get a yellowish colored watery mush, which i pour into my tank. The fish love it and gobble it down.

I take a clove of garlice and minci it, put it in a glass with some water and microwave. I get a yellowish colored watery mush, which i pour into my tank. The fish love it and gobble it down.

8O 8O That's a new one on me. But if it works. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom