Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2004, 07:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuchs
I also just discovered that my Naso tang and blue tang have ick. They are both in a 180 gal tank with inverts. What is my best course of action to treat the tank?

Thanks,

Marcel
Your best course would be to remove and treat the fish in a separate QT tank. Any attempts to treat in the main will either amount to nothing or worse could kill your inverts.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Do I need to worry about the other fish getting the ick? I have a Flame Angle, Coral Beauty, Clown, Domino, a few Purple reef fish and a gobi.

Also, what do you recommend I treat them with? Should I use a fresh water dip or a chemical?

Thanks,

Marcel

Old 08-27-2004, 08:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unfortunately, all your fish are at risk and will need to be treated. The only real way to get the parasite out of your main tank for good is to leave it fallow for 4-6 weeks.

Hyposalinity would be the least stressful treatment for the fish.

To remain parasite-free you need to QT all new purchases before adding them to the main tank.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 11:26 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
The only real way to get the parasite out of your main tank for good is to leave it fallow for 4-6 weeks.

What do you mean by fallow?

So my best course of action would be to remove all my fish and place them in a QT and do a Hyposalinity treatment on them? Do I do this in a separate container or do I do it to the whole QT tank. How long do I do it for? Should I do a Fresh water dip?
Old 08-28-2004, 11:59 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Fallow means fishless. Inverts, coral, etc stay in the main. They are not hosts for the parasite. The fallow period allow the parasite to go through its life cycle and die off due to the lack of fish hosts.
Here is an excellent article on the hypo process.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html
You can't treat the main, your other life and biological filter cannot take the low salinity.
I am at the tail end of an ich treatment and had to do the same thing.
See my stock below.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update: I have been at the hospital since Friday morning with the birth of my first son!! However, after returning Sunday evening... I found the Naso and the trigger both laying on the bottom of the tank breathing very heavily. This afternoon I found both of the fish dead.. The naso had white spots, which some were raised and some were not raised ALL over along with several black spots.... The trigger had the same, just not as many white spots... Right now the puffer is still alive, but breathing very heavily. He also has white specks all over.. I received my refractometer Saturday and I have started to bring the Salinity down, but it might be too little too late.....
Old 08-30-2004, 06:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congradulations on the birth, and sorry for the loss of your fish.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 07:10 PM   #18
steve-s

I would be sure what you are treating is C. irritans. For the fish to have succumb so quickly, I would be more suspect of marine velvet instead. If the parasite is misidentified, hypo will have no affect on velvet, only copper will. 7 days is far too quick a time for C. irritans to have done enough damage to kill a fish unless already heavily infested, especially when you say there are only a few spots.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-30-2004, 10:28 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have to agree with Steve. Ick while deadly is not a "fast killer" unless the fish is already in a weakened state. To kill in 7 days I think the fish should have looked like you had taken it out and dumped a salt shaker on it and dropped it back in the tank.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:22 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

sick fish

Could it be a combination of the two parasites? I have already started hypo to treat the ick, but like you guys said I might be treating the wrong disease...
On a lighter note, I can't belive that I have gone all this time without a refractometer.... They are much easier to use and much more accurate..

Here's a pic of the puffer....

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com