Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Bouch097
Ick?

A few days ago, I introduced a new blue tilefish (I know they're tough, but he is cool enough to take a chance) and a coral beauty to my tank. Both looked primo w/ no signs of health issues. Unfortunately, my flame angel started picking on the coral beauty w/in the first hour of introducing him to the tank. Within a couple of days, I noticed a white spot on the coral beauty and his eyes are a little cloudy, but it looked more like an injury from the flame angel picking on him rather than ick.

However, this morning, I noticed my maroon/gold clown (who I've had for over a year w/ no problems) was acting strange. He had gotten himself stuck in the corner behind some live rock, so I let him out, but he's still acting strange (not eating) and his eyes are cloudy. No white spots on him or any other fish, and none of them are scratching.

I added some quick cure to the tank this morning to be on the safe side b/c I unfortunately don't have and isolation tank. I'm still not convinced that it's ick since nobody is scratching and the white spot on the coral beauty doesn't look like typical ick, but I'm not sure what it is. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-Norm Peterson
Bouch097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
could be some tipe of parasite. do a google search of the symtoms and see what comes up.

Old 01-22-2005, 05:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Sounds like it might be velvet (amyloodinium). Physical symptoms such as spots are not always evident. However there are other symptoms, a couple of them your fish are showing.
Look here
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...loodinium.html
Old 01-22-2005, 06:07 PM   #4

I'm thinking it's not velvet either. The white patch is well above the gills torwards the top of the coral beauty. Looking closer, it appears one of the coral beauty's eyes are significantly more cloudy than the other. The clownfish isn't hovering at the top of the tank, but is venturing to the other side of the tank away from it's anemone, which is has very rarely done over the past year. It's his appetite loss that most concerns me, but the other symptoms don't seem to match up to either ick or velvet.

-Norm Peterson
Old 01-22-2005, 06:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
The cloudy eyes are secondary to another ailment. Also you say they are refusing to eat. This coupled with the new additions, leans me in the parasitic direction. Its not the white patch that is concerning to me, its the other signs.
Like the artlcle stated physical markings are not always evident.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The cloudy eyes could also very well be a very problematic parasite that is transparent. They give the eyes the appearance of being cloudy. Very hard to see on the fish. Whether this parasite (I'll try to get a name) is the cause or not, a 3 to 5 minute freshwater bath will help. If there are these parasites, they will turn opaque and fall off the fish. This will also confirm or deny the presence of external parasites.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd advise the following:

Separate the flame angel from the coral beauty. Angels fight each other most of the time. There's a lot of stress going on. Test the aquarium for everything...ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, SG. Lower the SG SLOWLY to 1.019. FW dip all the fish (except any wrasses if you have).

I'd like to know more about yout your tank. Please describe.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:14 PM   #8

Tank desc: 72 gal bowfront reef ready. Stock: Multiple corals, 1 maroon/gold clown, 1 rose bulb anemone, 1 coral beauty, 1 flame angel (I realize these two may not get along, but this is the first time I've had a problem with them), 1 blue tilefish, 1 christmas wrasse, 1 firefish, 1 dragon goby, 1 sea urchin, cleanup crew. Amm-0, NO2-0, NO3-20, SG-1.022. I'm out of testing materials for pH, etc.

The only way I know of to separate the angels is by flushing one of them, and I'd hate to do that. I will probably try out the FW dip though. Forgive the stupid question, but am I correct in assuming that a FW dip is simply putting them in a bucket of FW for 3-5 minutes (except for the wrasse), then just putting them back in the tank? Or do you reintroduce them via drip? I always thought putting them in FW would kill them, but what do I know...lol.

-Norm Peterson
Old 01-23-2005, 02:18 PM   #9

The light just turned on, so everyone's not quite awake yet...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aquariumb.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	317  

-Norm Peterson
Old 01-23-2005, 02:25 PM   #10

Also, he's a pretty good pic of my bluetile fish. I haven't been able to figure out how to take very good pics of my aquarium, so I was pretty proud of this one. Can you see these pics? They aren't showing on my screen for some reason...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bluetilefishb.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	321  

-Norm Peterson

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com