Ick clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blondek727

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok my clownfish have ick I was doing hypo with my hydrometer just untill my refractometer got in. Well I got it 2 days ago calabrated it using RO water and yesterday the fish looked pritty good like one or two spots. This morning I noticed my female had white spots all over her side but there not like sticking hard on her body they look to be badly hanging on so I checked the salinity it was perfect but did a 10% water change just to be safe. Is the ick falling off or is it back? Idk please reply

Either way they need to remain in QT for 3-4 weeks after the last spots are seen. Are you doing the hypo in the nano or a QT tank?

I'm doing it in the nano but I took all liverock and inverts out but left the sand at bottom in don't really have a choice. And I know they need to remain in QT but my question was is it back or is it dying? My fish are breathing a little heavy and they didn't really eat this morning eather. Please reply

The natural cycle of ich is that it will appear to be gone, but then come back. You'll see the "salt granules" one day, and the next they'll be gone. That's what makes this parasite tough to treat if you don't stick to the treatment routine and think "Oh... it's gone, I don't need to do this anymore."

As CaptainAhab said, you need to do the hypo for 4 weeks AFTER you see the last spot. If you're two weeks in and it reappears, the clock starts over again.

Regarding the fish breathing hard, are you checking for ammonia? Removing all the rock might've taken a fair amount of your bacterial filtration out and you might be experiencing a little cycle?

Just make sure you keep the salinity at 1.009 - no more, no less - and if you haven't seen this link yet you might give it a read over:

ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Hyposalinity Treatment

Also read these. As you read these links you`ll see the parasite falls off the fish making the person think that they are gone. When they settle on the bottom 200 little ones called tomites will come from each parasite and then they look reinfested again. Be patient and you`ll win the war.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Ok it's been 6 hours just got off work and checked the fish the white spots are gone but there body look like they have excess slim and are blatchy I did another water change cuz the ammonia was high and cheched the salinity it's at 1.009 as recomended. There not breathing as heavily anymore as well.

With a severe case like that, it's not going to get better overnight - but it WILL get better. I could take a week or two for the spots to clear, just be patient and keep an eye on the ammonia levels. You're doing everything you can do!

Usually the fish is covered with it before the lights come on. As the lights stay on the parasite falls off. As Kurt said keep up the good work.

Good news this morning very few white spots compared to a couple days ago maybe 10 to 15 spots per fish witch is much better but I'm sticking to the treatment so I can be done with this!!

Back
Top Bottom