Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-07-2004, 11:58 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Im sorry to be a pain here, and call me a retard if you will but I still have no clarity on this. I will try it again and hopefully ask the question a different.
We all agree that copper treats ick....and the best prevention is to make sure the fish doesnt have ick before putting it in the tank. SO with this said, why not run a small amt of copper in a tank if you can to PREVENT ick....because if you dont, and your fish shows up with ick, then you have to move them to a qrt tank, TREAT them WITH copper to cure the ick....
so back to my original question, if treating ick after the fish shows signs of it (after the fact) with copper is ok, why would it not be ok to treat the tank at a fish store in very small doses to make sure they dont have it or get it?? Its like on one hand people say its ok to treat a fish with copper once exposed to ick, but not ok to use copper to make sure it doesnt have it or get it?? does this make sense to just me? Sorry again for beating a dead horse!!

fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Simply put, copper has to be maintained at a specific level to be effective. Too low..it does nothing but kill inverts..too high..it kills everything. So if you were to run a "small amount" of copper..it will do nothing.

As far as the LFS using it....I personally wont take the risk of getting copper into my system.

Does that clarify?

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 03:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
No not really. If they are running copper at all, then they are running it for a reason and in the proper amt. I dis fail to mention that what brought the subject of copper up was the fact that they were logging the amt in each tank being used. I doubt they are running just an "unmeasered or undermined amt" just because.
Also I did mention they are running this ONLY in the FISH ONLY tanks...no inverts.
As far as your comment about personally not taking the risk of getting copper in your system. Let me put it this way...based on my previous post of stating that through the process of acclimation, all of the LFS water will be discarded and the fish will end up into my water completly before going into my tank.....If putting a fish into my tank from a copper treated tank- be it a fish store or a qrt tank of my own, the amt that is on the fish or IN the fish will (a) be the same when comparing the LFS vs my qrt tank and (b) the amt on the fish if any would be like putting a drop of poisen into the ocean....wont make a difference.
Maybe some people just dont like using copper for any sort of treatment...and thats ok. But I really do not see any harm in taking a fish from a LFS that uses copper to ensure their fish do not end up with ick or be exposed to it. Plus by the time the fish is acclimated to my tank, there should be no reminents of copper on or in the fish. Make sense?? Hope Im not wearing my welcome out. Otherwise we will end up with a "debate" section to this website!! :P
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:15 PM   #14
The use of copper by many LFS is quite common. If fact most all FO tanks at the LFS will contain some type of med to at least restrict the spread of parasite problems. Just as frequently though, the levels of these "pervenative" additions are not closely monitored and usually at best keep things at bay and are not concentrated enough to be an effective cure. That said though, I would rather buy from an LFS that uses some sort or prevention rather than none. If your careful and fish are always introduced to the QT before the main tank, there is no reason for any concern.

As far as maintaining "theraputic" levels of copper, I would advise against it. Long term exsposure to copper will damage internal organs and continually supress the fish's natural immune response leaving in open to a wide variety of fungal and bacterial problems. The main thing to distinguish here between the LFS and home use is the fish are not typically left in the holding tank at the LFS for very long and if needing to treat at home, the length is usually only 3-4 weeks at most for copper. As with any treatment copper or otherwise, all have drawbacks but if for only short periods will not normally casue permanent damage.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com